Surveyor questions

PeterGibbs

Visit site
With a four year old boat I suggest forming an agenda:

Self inspection (assuming out of water)
1. look at keel and keel /hull joint - any signs of movement or damage / impact? Lift floor board - any rust marks on keel bolts? Move rudder by hand - any evidence of impact / lack of alignment. Any visible damage to hull sides?

2. Look at sails and running rigging - bashed about / worn? Heavily used rigging / used for racing?

3. Look at guard rails and deck supports - any damage / collision marks / evidence of bad handling etc.

4. Look at bow / pushpit - any signs of impact?

5. Engine servicing record - annual oil change etc? Professionally done? Engine been cared for?

6. Boat brought ashore each winter or left to fend for itself in poorly protected circumstances?

Any negatives here can be expensive or lead to expensive correction. A serious case for moving on and not even instructing a surveyor.

If satisfied, ask a local sailing club for a trusted surveyor's name; they will be delighted to accommodate you in the hope you may join their club. No?

Verbally instruct surveyor, asking if he is familiar with the type of craft / he may even know the vessel. Limit survey to hull and structural matters only or you will get an inventory of fittings that is quite useless to you but justifies the otherwise larger fee. Unlikely he will climb rigging so the report will be deck level only. Most unlikely he will touch engine.
If you purchase, use an RYA contract (free to RYA members) and make completion subject to sailing test with engine running. Do not part with deposits until all this is in place.

A reliable seller will recognise a professional and careful approach and respond correspondingly. A crook with a conscience will hastle for a quite sale - walk away!

Peter Gibbs

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Thanks Peter, have done the visuals as far as possible and made allowances in the price for wear and tear. Am doing final sea trial and boat is being lifted out later in the week for hull survey. Surveyor was quite good in confirming what you say about inspecting all the other bits at deck level only.

G

Surveyors answer !

OK so most know me as a Petrochems Lab owner ... etc. but my business also emcompasses surveying. My experience is based on a lifetime and also working in yards etc. ..... but enough about that.

In answer to your q's ....

a) Always get in writing if you have any worry / doubts / feeling etc. It si a fair and reasonable request that I would never refuse. As to instruct .... YOU are the Client and YOU pay the bill for what YOU want done.
b)Watch out for 'Name at top of Brokers list' ...... as I was always told 'privately' when asking Brokers to put my name forward .... we cannot actually recc'd you name only, but if we put it at or near top of list then you should get more work .... Local to area is not so bad ... but then you should check out via locals / yards / other boats owners etc. who is recc'd ....
c) I am normally paid AFTER job ... because I believe in Client satsfaction before shelling out.
d) 48 hrs max. plus postage if used .... normally I deliver
e) Make sure he sits and goes through the report with you explaining all points. Try and be there when he does the inspection ... getting views / comments as he progresses through. If you don't understand ASK HIM AGAIN

YOU are the client - YOU are paying for a service.

You have a right to be an absolute b------d as the client !!!!