Survey on effect of deregulation of Red diesel

A_ndrew_n

Visit site
Hello to all YBW, users, readers and post mailers.

I am a student and am currently researching for my dissertation. The subject of which is ‘The effects on the marine industry if red marine diesel is deregulated’. I have read all of your extensive views, theories and opinions on this forum, of which all have been very interesting and helpful. But now the time has come when unfortunately I need some Quantitative data. If any of you fine boat users out there could take the time to fill in this brief questionnaire I would be eternally grateful. Also if any of you care to share some opinions on the subject then please feel free and know you’ll be helping me immensely…
Thank you again

A_ndrew_n

Visit site
Just to let every one know the survey will be starting from tomorrow(1/4/05). Thanks to everyone who has browsed so far I hope you will pop back in tomorrow(1st april05) to take part for me.
Thank you all for the support

gcwhite

Visit site
Very sensible posting a survey before its opening date. Hope you have learnt someting about sampling here! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
Don't think you understand the issues here - it's not a matter of deregulation, meaning something no longer being regulated, but rather of derogation which means we lose an EU tax concession.

It might have been a slip of the keyboard, but you did repeat the word several times....

Methinks "regulation" might not go down too well with your examiner.

Of course the whole thing may be an April Fools' windup.

A_ndrew_n

Visit site
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point out my glaring mistake. I would like to put the problem down to my spell checker (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it). Derogation it is and your views on it I need. Please continue to vote. I did try to edit the original post but that is obviously not possible.

Anyway I can assure all participants that this is most certainly not an April fool (although I feel like one now). Thank you everyone who has voted so far please tell your friends and ask them to participate also.

G

You have missed an important issue.

Refuelling could get difficult; I, for one, could be faced with having to carry diesel in cans in a tender out to a boat on a swinging mooring.

Apart from the hard work, this increases the risk of water in the fuel and fuel in the (sea) water.

Reason, the current fuel supply is mostly used by commercial boats, with the distinct possibility that white diesel will not be available.

ClassicPlastic

Visit site
Dear Student,

Did you run the survey past your tutor before posting? I'm concerned that some of your questions are poorly put or indeed, (mis)leading. The final question, in particular, very much 'puts words into the mouths' of those of us (perhaps) taking part.

This is a serious problem for us, especially those of us with big-ish motor boats. A cruise which would have run to a few hundred quid in fuel bills could cost a couple of thousand, if we're 'unlucky'. Selling the boat won't be an option, because the bottom will drop out of the used boat market in the UK, and we'll just be left with value-less assets which we can't afford to put to sea. Your question about selling the boat misses that point.

The 'areas of budget' question assumes that we have some form of budget, whereas boating, by its very nature, cannot be budgeted. The costs are incurred largely out of our control, and must be met. Why should this only affect our 'boating' budgets? Will it not impact at home, on the car, other holidays, etc?

'Using illegal fuel' is likely not to be an option. Where are we going to get our supplies? Why won't we be caught? Even the Spanish have got their commercial diesel supplies tied up tight!

And remember, this is not an 'EU policy decision'... It's the blind acceptance of EC 'policy' by our elected Government, without the kind of robust defense of custom that makes the French so happy to pick at the European legislative smorgasbord.

Some of us might think that in the same way that this Government has ensured that every Englishman's home is no longer his Castle, we must no longer be a proud nation of seafarers.

(My private opinion... Don't forget they're Labour, and as such, they can't help wanting to screw the rich).

Sorry, but you really could (and should) do better if you intend to 'research' this topic.

Yours (in occasional academia),

CP.

ClassicPlastic

Visit site
Sorry Andrew,

I'm really not sure what your driving at...

I don't want to give too much detail on my bio for the reasons discussed in other threads, but I'm happy to confirm that I'm a UK resident with a big-ish twin diesel motor boat kept in UK waters, and that I do at least a couple of thousand miles on her every year.

I am very strongly opposed to the end of the Red Diesel derogation, as it has potential to cause enormous damage to the UK boating industry and could see motor boat owners paying huge additional sums in tax. Whilst these sums would be very significant to the boat owner, they would be a drop in the ocean to the exchequer (if you'll forgive the pun).

I am similarly opposed to some of the very low quality 'research' coming out of UK universities at present, of which I believe we see an example above.

ClassicPlastic

Visit site
Thanks for the clarification, Andrew. I was confused by the [Re: ClassicPlastic] in the header.

Student, perhaps you'd like to let us know which Polytechnic - sorry - University, and Department, etc..?

By the way, partly influenced by the possible end of derogation, I'm taking a tentative step into sailing, and have bought a pocket cruiser/racer... If I get to like boating under sail, I might give up the mobo, and move to a decent cruiser.

A_ndrew_n

Visit site
Re: Thank you

Dear Clasic_one

Thank you very much for the information about the BMF. I shall be sure to follow that up. It is nice to here a supportive suggestion and is very much appreciated.

Thank you again sir for your help.

Best Wishes
Student

ClassicPlastic

Visit site

Student,

Sorry, but if we don't get some answers about your sponsor, I'll be speaking to a couple of Chancellors I know about your research and the pertinent protocols.

Go on, show yourself!

Mister_Smee

Visit site

Having completed your survey, I was wondering what your null hypothesis for this reasearch is, and have you performed a power calculation to assertain the responder numbers required to ensure statistaical validity and hence give a power greater than 0.8?
Additionally, what level of qualification is this being carried out for it seems a bit scanty for a dissertation.
Just my 2p worth
Stuart Sheppard PhD

A

Anonymous

Totally agree with all you say in your posts in this thread to date. While I don't use a huge amount of fuel (we try to sail whenever possible) I cannot see that it is fair or sensible to impose a road fuel levy on a non-road activity, quite aside from all the usual arguments.