Supporting the tender bits of a tender

martin

Visit site
Hi,

Bit of advice needed.

Am contructing a set of chocks for my Quicksilver tender from a very nice piece of real teak planking i recently got hold of.. to sit on the bathing platform. It has a small inflatable keel which i have shaped the wood to fit.

Question is - should the chocks support the V shaped floor and finish before the inside edge of the tubes or support the tubes and extended outside the edge of the dinghy?.

So from the rear view...should it look like

Dinghy ( )___( ) or ( )___( )
................\/...............\/
Chocks.....\../...........\....../
................V..............\__/

P.s. Dont mock...it took me ages to draw that :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

All of the chocks I've ever seen are quite short, say 300-400mm either side of the V, enough to stop the tender from moving but certainly stopping well short of the tubes. It may not be so much of an issue with an inflatable keeled RIB but with a rigid bottomed RIB, the shape of the chock needs to be quite accurately made to fit the shape of the hull otherwise the RIB can too easily move around and possibly get damaged. I did crack the hull of the RIB tender on my last boat by using wooden chocks that didn't exactly fit the V of the RIB hull with a consequence that, after a rough sea passage, there was a large enough crack in the hull to let water in. Its wise to use a bit of old carpet or foam nailed or taped to the chocks to cushion the RIB as well

martin

Visit site
Mark 2 design is on its way

Thanks Mike, that makes sense. I had decided to forgo the obligatory bit of carpet but having heard your experience I think i better find some and stick it on..