Suphawadi Thai - Gosport

jaypea

Visit site
After chatting to some locals over a beer or two on the Lightship at the Haslar, we took their recommendation for a stroll down to this restaurant and were very pleased we did.

Good appearance and decor, tables aplenty, service on the mark from being seated to drinks orders to food orders and delivery. We had three, possibly four staff serve us, all of whom seemed to be aware of exactly where we were on our meal journey, checking drinks and water and at no time did we feel we'd waited too long for the next course/dessert query/bill.
Food was excellent in quality, taste and prep. Quite the nicest Thai meal I've experienced.

We dropped in around 18.30 to a largely empty restaurant, an hour later it was virtually full.
The locals say its essential to book if you're eating after 19.00, certainly on Fri/Sat nights and it looks very much that they're right from our experience.

Where is it?
Off the usually beaten track, in Gosport, the tempatation is to stop looking beyond Morrisons! So, down the pedestrianised High Street, past Morrisons and leaving the park on your left, stay on the main road, about 200m past the park you'll see Suphawadi on the left side of the road.

The indian restaurant a few doors up is also highly recommended by the locals, it too was as busy as the Thai as we walked back to the Haslar.

richardbrennan

Visit site
Tried this place last night and the food was OK. The menu said the chicken satay was grilled, which is correct, but it had obviously been fried first. The prawn Pad Thai was a bit short on prawns and, to my taste at least, a little bland.

The Indian, which I assume is the New Bengal, is in my view, better, I think the food there is exceptional.

jaypea

Visit site
Hi Richard, thanks for the endorsement of the New Bengal. We're looking forward to trying that next time we're in Gosport.

richardbrennan

Visit site
I have been going for years and I'm sure you will not be dissapointed. However, it's wisest to book, the're turning them away in droves on a Friday or Saturday night.

ashtead

Visit site
Yes have been to Gosport Thai a few times and always seems busy with locals. Food is fine but not brilliant however would say it's certainly worth a try . Staff are efficient however decor looked a little tired but not unclean . Haven't looked at recent reviews on trip adviser though. If visiting Haslar and no room on lightship which has been pleasantly refurbished then there is boathouse at next marina down if the castle tavern doesn't tempt. Do avoid the Great Wall of china if possible.

Other threads that may be of interest