Sunseeker Ocean 156

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Had a chance to spend a bit of time on the new Sunseeker Ocean 156 at the Southampton boat show.

I’ve never been a huge fan of the Sunseeker look hence ending up buying several Princess boats but the Ocean 156 is much more pleasing to the eye. They took it out for a sunset cruise on Thursday and it looked really well leaving the show. More boats should do the evening cruise thing at Southampton like they do at Cannes.

There was a lot of competition for the 80 ish foot buyer in that corner of the show. My personal favourite the Princess X80, the Y80 and the S80 which share the same hull and now this new kid from Poole.

There are a couple of layout options on the 156 Ocean’s main deck. Strangely this boat didn’t have cockpit to flybridge stairs but it is an option.

One thing which did work well at the show were the forward facing patio doors onto the fore deck but I was left wondering what happens if you take some water on the nose? I know from coding a couple of boats forward facing doors are treated very differently to the normal rear facing patio doors. What’s the expert opinion on here? I’m not sure how comfortable I’d be having less than perfectly sealed patio doors protecting me.

The other thing which I found off putting was not being able to see the front of the boat from the helm station. You would pretty much need a permanent crew member on comms stood up front in any traffic area.

I also thought the crew area felt cramped and disjointed. At this size you’re going to have some crew aboard even if you owner skipper. On the X80 the main deck master cabin forward means you end up with a spare cabin down below that can be given over to crew and still have 4 good guest cabins. That gives you 5 crew bunks and 2 bathrooms. 2 of the bunks and 1 of the bathrooms are guest quality.

Was it enough to tempt me away from an X80 dream? No I don’t think so but a good looking boat all the same.

What did other people think who saw it at SIBS ?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Saw this boat today. Agree with your analysis 💯 the boat was very much an unusual layout, the forward dining area with the big table looks impressive but I don’t think it would work in the real world. You could have a superb master suite there. Also not a fan of the single internal staircase but I guess it’s an option. Bit of a first world problem though since there is no chance I could buy one. My favourite new boat of the show was the Sunseeker 76.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Saw this boat today. Agree with your analysis 💯 the boat was very much an unusual layout, the forward dining area with the big table looks impressive but I don’t think it would work in the real world. You could have a superb master suite there. Also not a fan of the single internal staircase but I guess it’s an option. Bit of a first world problem though since there is no chance I could buy one. My favourite new boat of the show was the Sunseeker 76.
There is a forward main deck cabin option in the layouts.

benjenbav

Visit site
Remind me, please, why it’s called 156? Someone explained this naming policy when I looked at the 182 but I’ve forgotten.

Elessar

Visit site
Remind me, please, why it’s called 156? Someone explained this naming policy when I looked at the 182 but I’ve forgotten.
Volume rather than length. It is huge for its length. I think it’s the tonnage as used in part 1 which is to do with the amount of grain it can carry or some such nonsense. I’m sure someone will correct that!

benjenbav

Visit site
Volume rather than length. It is huge for its length. I think it’s the tonnage as used in part 1 which is to do with the amount of grain it can carry or some such nonsense. I’m sure someone will correct that!
Sounds right. First thing the average Sunseeker buyer thinks about, I guess.

Surely Sunseeker don’t want to attract customers who’d vaguely like it to be thought they had bought a 150 footer?

And definitely not anyone who’s able to spring for an 80ft boat only for their mates to think they’ve got some 15.6 metre dinghy. :)

DougH

Visit site
I loved my Sunseeker Manhattan 60 which was 64’ 4 ‘’ so the numbers are confusing but I think this Ocean 156 is pig ugly.

But Sunseeker is not daft and know their market and not everyone agrees with me.

ds797

Visit site
All I can say is I'm glad I don't have however many million it would take to buy this "yacht"!

We're all different, others may love the "style(?)", but I think it is exceptionally ugly, and I would not be able to turn my head to look back at it when walking away.....

I'm sure it's a lovely thing to sit on and has great accommodation, but boy did they make it look awful!

(Other's opinions may differ, beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc)....!

Bouba

Visit site
All I can say is I'm glad I don't have however many million it would take to buy this "yacht"!

We're all different, others may love the "style(?)", but I think it is exceptionally ugly, and I would not be able to turn my head to look back at it when walking away.....

I'm sure it's a lovely thing to sit on and has great accommodation, but boy did they make it look awful!

(Other's opinions may differ, beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc)....!
I think it’s sold on it’s interior.....the volume is impressive and it is as described....a compact superyacht. But it’s not easy to put that much in to eighty foot without it looking guppyish .....but on a personal opinion....if I had the money, I would get it

Richard.C

Visit site
At this size I quite like the new Pearl 82 that I recently saw some video's of, I thought the layout was interesting and in particular the access from the flybridge to the foredeck area.