Sunseeker Abandons £6M+ of boats on the Medway

rustybarge

Visit site
Taste will always be highly subjective. We had a similar post a little while back in relation to Thames side dwellings. I happen to like Green Oak post and beam construction. Others are more Huf House. Variety is what makes the riverside interesting.

Of course in every era taste will change. Starting at the top of society, look at Prince William and Harry, the image of modern aristocrats. Compare their behaviour to Prince Charles and his ilk. The cut glass accent has gone, the hand cut suits have been swopped for fleeces etc.

But would you expect to find the young Princes buying a Sunseeker, or Prince Charles?

oldgit

Visit site
Well I though they looked rather splendid with the old dockyard Rope Walk in the back ground,they may well all be heading to parts foreign but most certainly would not mind them gracing my bit of river again at some point.
Made a very nice change.
Strange they should suddenly depart after my announcement that I needed to source some new fenders !

dash300

Visit site
Of course in every era taste will change. Starting at the top of society, look at Prince William and Harry, the image of modern aristocrats. Compare their behaviour to Prince Charles and his ilk. The cut glass accent has gone, the hand cut suits have been swopped for fleeces etc.

But would you expect to find the young Princes buying a Sunseeker, or Prince Charles?

Princess ?;)

oldgit

Visit site
Here's my list of Classic good taste boats:

"Back cove"

Yerrsss ....can just picture the scene now ...you have just invited 10 of your best friends and their wives back to your boat,it is 45C and you need to feed and water them followed by a trip out to Mandrago for swim........................
H,mm best bet will be to draw lots about who gets to go and sulks back at the hotel. Eh !
But what I really want to know is is it sporting Lumishores ?
We should be told.

Last edited:

rustybarge

Visit site
Here's my list of Classic good taste boats:

"Back cove"

Yerrsss ....can just picture the scene now ...you have just invited 10 of your best friends and their wives back to your boat,it is 45C and you need to feed and water them followed by a trip out to Mandrago for swim........................
H,mm best bet will be to draw lots about who gets to go and sulks back at the hotel. Eh !
We should be told.

Do you have 20 'best friends', or are they just acquaintances?

rustybarge

Visit site
We should be told.

What the heck are Lumishores?

Anyway, getting back to the subject: From What sort of social class is the Sunseeker buyer?

Here's a précis of modern social class:
A/ upper class. Public school educ, inherits property, only has old furniture.
B/ middle class. Educated professional, buys property , buys furniture.
c/ lower class, lives off state, furniture on hp finance.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Yes, but they're brightening up the harbour beautifully! Let's face it there's plenty of room for all boats -

would have like to say something rude about Ramsgate,but met the harbour master at LIBS and he seemed a very nice chap.Plus club is going there in Spring and he may remember me :)

My She

Visit site
would have like to say something rude about Ramsgate,but met the harbour master at LIBS and he seemed a very nice chap.Plus club is going there in Spring and he may remember me :)

Next time you see him ask him why Dover allows dogs and Ramsgate doesn't! :confused:

saltysplash

Visit site
Can't these people read???

DSCF0805_zps79576cd6.jpg

Does seem a bit odd though. Perhaps they got lost on the way back from LIBS?

How long before they can be claimed as "abandoned"?:rolleyes:

They Pay a fair bit for the privilege of using Victory Moorings at Thunderbolt Pier, I had them tied up alongside me one year as the moorings then were full.

If you speak to Tony Moss he'll let you know all about them, I assume kingswear Castle was away in dock for them to be moored in her spot, in fact looking at the pics, i cant see if my old tub is still there or not, the moorings seem very empty.

Bassplayer

Visit site
Some people winter their boats elswhere, so it can look a bit empty.
The Kingswear Castle has gone, I'm afraid. To the river Dart. Damn shame, used to like having that near to us. And watching them moor it - had a long chat with one of the crew about how they nake it "walk" sideways.

Shouldn't think they paid that much. I would guess about £300 a week for all of them.

We do have a very eclectic range of boats here. Best place I've moored.