sunseeker 28 offshore

willy1

Visit site
Help for a newcomer to powerboats needed!
I have sailed for a number of years, stopped a few years back and sold my yacht. I would like to get into the world of powerboats.
I have a fancy for a sunseeker 28. two for sale that I can find, one petrol engined, in need of work for 17K and one diesel at 27K.
I am happy to work on the boat and don't mind a year onshore fixing up so no problem with boat one, except for the petrol. The questions!!
Are they any good for a couple on extended cruising , i.e a few weeks or so?
What about use on inland waterways both UK and France?
am I mad and should I buy another sailing boat?
what am I letting myself in for cost wise?
Should I look for a different style of boat altogether?
Note the budget is limited in so far as the good wife does not wholly approve.
any help gratefully received.

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Forget the petrol one, whatever is said in the ensueing petrol v derv debate just remember petrol is harder to obtain when afloat.
Extended cruising? Why not... maybe a tight fit but you will manage. Yes! for inland waterways but for any period longer than a month the boat will require the hated BSS certificate.
Cost.. how long is a peice of string?
Wife... get rid of her, you will soon pull a new flashier model with your new boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

hlb

RIP
Visit site
well. You cant cruise in a petrol boat. There is'nt any most places. So thats out. 28Ft is a bit small for cruising but would be ok if you watch the weather. For uk I'd go for some thing with more cabin space and forget sports boats. It tends to rain here alot or is cold. Some times both. Also theres the risk of hitting bad overfalls, no matter how you try and I cant see a big wave sploshing in as being much fun.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

BarryH

Visit site
I've seen the one for 17K, the advert says in need of TLC read engines out outdrives off and more or less a total rebuild. Plus its got AQ145's which are bloody pigs, I've got one.

You'd be better going for the 27k oil burner and that coming from a confirmed petrol head like me!

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

miket

Visit site
These boats had a pretty good reputation for seakeeping at the time.
Most were petrol, so check the diesel installation. If changed to diesel, check that quality of installation is OK. Also check on sea trial if it goes. Diesels are heavier than petrols, or used to be, so make sure it goes properly.

I'm afraid I wouldn't do any extended cruising in a targa style boat, but plenty do.
If your wife is less than enthusiastic, make sure whatever you get appeals to her too. It rains a lot in this country, so being dry and warm in a cosy, light and airy saloon, has some benefits to the less boaty person. She may even let you spend more money if she likes it !!

Any boat of that size can cope with inland waters for a short time (holidays). If outdrives, consider using one engine only whilst cruising between locks, so more rpm used.

<hr width=100% size=1>