Sunsail 56

jimi

Visit site
Motor sailing down the Needles Channel on Sat (wind on the nose family on board) sunsail 56, obviously on corp entertainment, sails in front of me from staboard to port ,I turn hard to starboard, I do'nt believe it,, guy then immediately tacks and I have to ram the helm hard to port to avoid being Tboned .. I ask the guy as to the wisdom of his actions and am completely blanked ..

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Is this happening to you rather a lot, Jim? If so, why, since you just got the official RYA YM seal of approval? We need to be told

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
Jim, one way or another you seem to be on a run of bad luck!! With regard to the Sunsail boats' antics, this used to happen to us a lot when we had the motor cruiser. No matter how much change of course we made, to ensure (some) sailing boats progress was unimpeded, they would (it seemed), deliberately wait until we made our move before tacking, and forcing to make a further change to avoid them!!. Paranoia? Maybe, but at the time it seemed deliberate!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ParaHandy

Visit site
Re: d\'you feel lucky, punk?

met a few of No 56's brethren ........ get the crew on deck with the ray-bans on clutching winch handles ... "well, do you punk?"

... and wind on the nose all the way back on sunday ... ? it was blowing hard by 4pm sunday from the east. bet you're popular!?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

Not popular yesterday I must admit .. partic whenI said we've got to leave by 7am ... eventually manged to leave just before 8am and lost the tide just outside Yarmouth .. near mutiny and a silent car on the way home

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Waiting for you

It seems to me that they are out there waiting for you the number of times this happens to you.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

iangrant

Visit site

Now if you had come to East Head you would have had the wind behind you both ways !!

Er - sorry - we had a fantastic time

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
Yes - but have you noticed that it is always Jimi who is in the wrong!

I imagine that this is another wind-up - clearly Jimi's actions as described do not comply with Colregs

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
S56 is itacking out under sail I'm motorsailing out we're almost on collision course but he's going to pass ahead by a boat's length I alter to starboard by 30 degrees to increase that distance and pass behind him within 5 seconds of passing in front of me he tacks and we're again on a collision course, had he waited another 10 seconds we would'nt have been.I again alter course (by 90degrees) to again go behind him. This is not a CR posting but one about the lack of common courtesy demonstrated in this instance. We've all been there and normally say hang on let that boat get clear before we tack ... do'nt we? Although it could be argued quite correctly that in these circumstances that the stand on boat (sail boat) by changing course so quickly and so unecessarily to another collision course was behaving inappropriately.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
Well isn't it?

(a) I bet you weren't displaying a motoring cone

(b) from your description you weren't Motor Sailing, you were motoring with the sails up

(c) As give way vessel you are required to take an early and obvious action - turning hard to starboard doesn't seem to fit the bill.

(d) Had you turned hard to starboard, you would have been on a parallel course (roughly) after the tack, so he could not have come close to T-Boning you

(e) As give way vessel you are required to anticipate the likely actions of the stand-on vessel, for a close-hauled vessel to tack when beating up a Channel is not unusual, and so you should have taken that into account when planning your first actions.

It seems that you need to polish up your knowledge of ColRegs - can I recommend that you take Day Skipper theory - it is adequately covered there :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
(a) I bet you weren't displaying a motoring cone
I was'nt

(b) from your description you weren't Motor Sailing, you were motoring with the sails up
wrong I was motorsailing I had the main cranked in and revs at 2500. No genoa

(c) As give way vessel you are required to take an early and obvious action - turning hard to starboard doesn't seem to fit the bill.
No collision course initially I altered course to increase margin of safety

(d) Had you turned hard to starboard, you would have been on a parallel course (roughly) after the tack, so he could not have come close to T-Boning you
He turned onto a Tboning course not me. I altered course suffiently to ensure no risk of collision. Had I turned hard to starboard he would probably have run me onto the Shingles!

(e) As give way vessel you are required to anticipate the likely actions of the stand-on vessel, for a close-hauled vessel to tack when beating up a Channel is not unusual, and so you should have taken that into account when planning your first actions.

I did .... no collision happened.

It seems that you need to polish up your knowledge of ColRegs - can I recommend that you take Day Skipper theory - it is adequately covered there :)

Can I suggest you attend Jeeves's school of manners .. you're obviously in need of some correction.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
By George I've got it .. are you an ugly little 19yo sh#t with designer glasses and stubble? Yes .. you were that skipper .. well b#gger off .. I'm no drawing any diagrams I've wasted enough time talking aboot the tosser already!

<hr width=100% size=1>

iangrant

Visit site
A - He didn't see you,
B - He didn't know what to do
C - Sunsal boats have right of way in the Solent,
D - Bedouin look much older, couldn't have been him.
E - They new it was you - it's all a conspiracy.
F - He thought you were emptying your holding tank,
G - He couldn't believe you were going to Poole and thought you would turn round and go the the B-B-Q that was down wind both there and back.
H - He new you are Scottish
I - The sun was in your eyes

Grin ---

Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Actually that gives me a clue as to the real purpose of the holding tank , get up wind of the offending boat and then release , wonder if that's why the windward boat gives way?

Or if you're really annoyed hammer in front of them is a Solent chop and then do the dastardly .. that'll learn the little sh#ts!

<hr width=100% size=1>