Sunbeam System solar panel report: not good

JumbleDuck

Visit site
A while ago I got useful advice here on fitting the Sunbeam System solar panels (model TF58) which I had bought for my boat.

I fitted them in spring 2021. One started dying the following summer (2022), the other died over this winter. In full sunlight (in Scotland, in March, but still sunlight, with hard shadows) today one managed 5V open circuit and one 3.5v. The panels cost me £200 each.

I don't think there is a UK dealer at the moment, but if anyone is thinking of fitting this make I very, very strongly recommend looking elsewhere.

PS I am still alive, still sailing and happy to slip back into obscurity. A warm hello to anyone around from my active forum days.

William_H

Visit site
Solar cells in them selves should be very reliable. It is the mounting and weather proofing that can cause failure from corrosion. Have a close look at cells through the glass. Any corrosion of cells will be obvious and terminal. The connections may be subject to corrosion. Is there a connection box and does it contain a diode. All susceptible to corrosion and possibly fixable. ol'will

JumbleDuck

Visit site
An update. Having checked that (a) I bought the panels in December 2020 and (b) they have a five year warranty, I contacted Ferropilot (part of Elna) in Germany, from whom I bought them.

They arranged shipment of the old panels back to Germany, confirmed their dudness after a prod to remind them that they had had them for month and replaced them with a pair of the latest model, the Tough Flush 55W, which arrived today. The only downside was that I had to pay £125 in VAT and handling to ParcelForce, but them's the rules in this brave new world.

Meanwhile a pair of slightly older TF50s are working fine on the boat - I bought two sets before Brexit kicked in. Since the TF54 model was replaced after just a couple of years with the TF55, I suspect that there may have been an issue with the design.

At any rate Ferropilot/Elna responded well, I have a working panels and a spare set and all is well.

Takes deep breath, sinks back into the water, disappears.

ctva

Visit site
Good to hear you got sorted. Let us know if or when transiting the Canal.

Fair Winds