Sun Fizz 40

dawnsall

Visit site
Is there a Sun Fizz 40 in the South East of England who might be able to help us decide if this is the boat for us? It would be great to speak to an owner and even better to actually see one.

Thank you.

Robin

Visit site
We have friends with one, Mk2 version with teak interior, very nice. Sailed with just husband and wife crew. We have a Sun Legende 41 which replaced the Sun Fizz, very similar interior but different hull design. Either make good fast cruisers. Be careful of 'cheap' ones, many will be ex charter and hard used. The original Sun Fizz was designed for the transatlantic race and the original Sun Legende was a French One Ton Cupper and Admiral's Cup boat, hulls are laid up with Kevlar for extra strength. Both are very capable sea boats with traditional layouts, not in the current Ben/Jen/Bav style.

Sybarite

Visit site
Good boat - thought I had got one until the dealer let me down on my existing boat.

http://www.yachtworld.com/listing/uk/yw_listing_search_validator.jsp?ybw=&new=Used&type=(Sail)&maker=Jeanneau&units=Meters&min_length=11&max_length=13&min_year=1982&max_year=1986&currency=EUR&min_price=&max_price=&country=

The above site gives an idea of what's on the market but you would probably get the best deals in France or in the French Antilles where a lot were bought for charter under tax deals at that time.

1985 is good for the teak interior - earlier ones were dark ( sapele ?); and for the kevlar incorporated into their build. Nice gentle gradient to the steps inside.

Minus points were stowage and having to go through a head to the starboard aft cabin. Use this cabin for stowage?

Go for it.

John

Viking

Visit site
If I remember correctly there was an article about the Sun Fizz 40 in one of the yachting mags. But it I think it was some time ago. When I get home I check my back copies if it is of interest?
Good Hunting!

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
I had one for 3 years (early one, sapele). Lift Keel. Excellent. Last I heard she was doing the ARC (year 2000 I think). There were some problems with wet balsa core round deck fittings.
Mast is stepped unusally far forward for a sloop as she was engineered for ketch rig as well.
There is (was?) a ketch version on charter from Port Solent - check charter section in YM. There is another on the Beaulieu (PM me I have owners e-mail address soemwhere I think), and one lays up every year at Shamrock Quay (she was there last week ashore).
Loads of space, good turn of speed. Stowage not brilliant as someone else said.
Liferaft stowage under cockpit sole was good.
I like French designs - they get a lot of things right (well, it was good for 1981!)

Good luck

dawnsall

Visit site
Thanks very much for your reply.

You say you have friends with one. Where is it based? And if it's anywhere near Brighton do think they would let us have a look?

Dawn Allison

dawnsall

Visit site
Thanks very much for your reply.

Very interested in what you thought of the boat, in particular the lifting keel.

We'd love to have a chat if possible and would be extremely grateful for that email address too.

My email address is dawnsall@hotmail.com

Dawn Allison