Suitability questions

Bejasus

Visit site
Sometime in the not so distant future, SWMBO and I are considering liveaboard in the Med for say 3-5 years. The thing is, we do not want a Mobo but would prefer a Motorsailer. Any recommendations. I am thinking along the lines of Camper & Nicholson 38/Colvic Victor 40 etc. Current sailing experience is basically none, but am looking at doind DS soon with a view to YM in the future. Also do not want to tie up all funds in the boat, so a price of around £40-50k would be realistic.

Any advice welcome.

<hr width=100% size=1>
fire-dragon.gif

Talbot

Visit site
If you are looking for a liveaboard then seriously consider a catamaran. You will have MUCH more liveable space. You should easily get a 30 ft cat for less than your budget, and may even be able to get larger. It will be much more comfortable , and has all that sunbathing space! pm me if you want further detail.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
Oh do I have a project for you!!

Camper & Nicholson 42 currently lying in Corfu. Don't know price but can find out next week. Needs a fair bit of TLC but would be priced to suit.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

Bejasus

Visit site
Re: Oh do I have a project for you!!

Currently just looking for ideas Gordon, but it would be interesting to know the details of course.
Thinking along <A target="_blank" HREF=http://gibraltar.boatshed.com/viewboat.php?boat=2037>these</A> lines.

<hr width=100% size=1>
fire-dragon.gif

heerenleed

www.heerenleed.com

Have a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kingsyacht.com>http://www.kingsyacht.com</A>. At the moment, there are 4 Nic38's for sale.

<hr width=100% size=1>Peter a/b SV Heerenleed, Steenbergen, Netherlands

Bejasus

Visit site

I think I would have to take a saw to these boats. Does anyone know of a motorsailer with a proper aft cabin with an island type double berth or am I looking for too much? A decent galley would be nice too. The galley on the Nauticat 33 at the show was disappointingly tiny. Perhaps I need to ttake this on as a design project in whatever I settle on......../forums/images/icons/frown.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
fire-dragon.gif

tcm

Visit site
yep, the sailing is easy peasy, cos all very slow. Med-liveaboard-wise:

1 Big anchors and chain mean cheap nights or even weeks at anchor
2 Teak decks feel nice underfoot but are hot and heat the cabins. Teak cockpit sole, decks otherwise waste of loot imho, good for posing, no good to live in.
3 Bigger is almost always better - you can stay out at anchor for longer, and live more comfortably. Although this will mean more expensive in marinas, you will more likely last longer.
4. I know loads of people who partly-liveaboard. Spose ccscott is in this category, but I mean they go down april, come back in october. Then you need no super-long-term berth in summer, which is time to avoid marinas when prices massive
5. scuse egg-sucking.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bejasus

Visit site
It's not so much all the other pros & cons, it's just that having now been spoiled by seeing Broom aft cabins, I just wonder if it's feasible to find such luxury on a motor sailer. At least with an m/s, fuel is not such a huge consideration or constraint.

<hr width=100% size=1>
fire-dragon.gif

mikewilkes

Visit site
Colin we are being got at for only being livaboards for 6 months. I dont think he realises that its cos a man keeps throwing lots of $$$$ at us every month to just turn up!!!!
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I have no house, so I suppose I am a permanent liveaboard, seeing as I only go to work, just like you. People who live in houses, have to go to work, welll some do anyway! I suppose they only live there six months aswell. Hows things anyway?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: not too bad

you need a cockpoit canopy, to be able to use the cockpit in high sun, otherwise looks ok? "Luxury" on many boats seems to mean "some carpet in the cabins" so get some nice stuffwith stitcing round the edge and underlay, mmm luxury.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bejasus

Visit site
Re: not too bad

Nowt wrong, I say, nowt wrong with a good Persian rug.
Do you think I could find a good carpet fitter to make sure it would be laid carefully into all the ineveitable nooks & crannys......./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
fire-dragon.gif