Suggestions on how to remove large seized wood screw

Blackgang boy

Visit site
Can anybody suggest a method to remove a large wood screw that passes through a wooden handle and into the bulk head behind as i need to access the bulk head behind.
The spacer behind is fixed to the handle by two screws from the rear and not accessible, all attempts to to release the final bulk head fixing has failed and screw is starting to deform at the head.

Bulkhead handle.jpg
The offending screw pictured in situ.
I would like to release with as little damage as possible, grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

burgundyben

Visit site
Make sure the slot is really clear of debris. Find a screw driver you can put a spanner on the shaft. Lean on it hard and turn. If that fails then a small holesaw without the pilot drill, use a piece of ply with a hole already cut as a guide. Cut down the outside with the holesaw. Fit a plug to repair. Redrill.

Old Harry

Visit site
suitable size screwdriver in slot-tap sd with hammer - turn clockwise if it will- then unscrew, if it will, if not any of the above

Old Harry

Visit site
Can anybody suggest a method to remove a large wood screw that passes through a wooden handle and into the bulk head behind as i need to access the bulk head behind.
The spacer behind is fixed to the handle by two screws from the rear and not accessible, all attempts to to release the final bulk head fixing has failed and screw is starting to deform at the head.

View attachment 95133
The offending screw pictured in situ.
I would like to release with as little damage as possible, grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks
Are you sure its not a machine screw

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Dont bother with screw extractors, all they will do is bugger it up even more, or snap off leaving you with a worse problem.
Top tip clean slot as much as possible then stick a soldering iron on it, give it a good heat up & it will often break the join.
This would be my advice also. I have been dismantling antique pianos most of my life and have experience of jammed screws.
The problem with extractors is if the screw is well and truly stuck the extractor will quite probably snap off and then you have even more problems than you started with. Soldering iron, massive screwdriver, that fits, and occasional clout to break free.
Perhaps try to get hold of an 'impact screwdriver' to get it started?
Otherwise you may have to resort to drilling the head off and drilling into the screw shank, a bit drastic though.

penberth3

Visit site
Another vote here for heat and/or an impact driver.

Tighten first helps to break the bond. In the photo the slot looks too far gone for that. I'd drill the head off, pull handle off the remaining bit, then extract that with vise-grips or whatever.

garymalmgren

Visit site
remove a large wood screw that passes through a wooden handle and into the bulk head behind as i need to access the bulk head behind.

Plug cutter.
Remove the wood around the screw.
Remove your wooden handle.
Then do what you have to to remove the screw (lockgrips)
Replace missing wood and screw wooden handle back in place with quality s/s or bronze screws.

gary
1595427005702.png

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I’ve had some success removing awkward screws using my cordless drill with appropriately sized driver head on the hammer drill setting. A bit like a high speed impact driver.

MonniotC

Visit site
I recently removed a seized screw with a knackered slot by cutting a new slot with a dremel (type) diamond cutting wheel. I followed up with heat/large "knock-through" screwdriver and hammer. Spanner on square shaft of screwdriver also.

TernVI

Visit site
Heat is worth trying.
I would use a 1/4 hex type bit heated on the gas ring.
Beware of magnetic bit holders not working when hot though!