Submariner's question

dgadee

Visit site
Several years ago passing Cadiz and the military practice area the crew said there were explosions behind us on the water. I, skeptic as usual, didn't believe her. Until I saw - a few hundred yards behind me - a water spout and heard an explosion. There were a couple of other boats not too far away but rather than get onto VHF I just upped the revs and made my way out of the area pronto. I have always wondered what was going on. There was no sound of missile coming over, just explosion and water spout. Going south to Barbate we heard the explosions for the rest of the day.

Would it have been a submarine? I presume they knew we were there but there were no guard boats herding us out of the way.

capnsensible

Visit site
It's the firing range on the shore south of Cadiz. Operates a lot. Been past it dozens of times! There are range safety vessels and the shore facility uses radar.

Far to shallow there for submarines. Their exercise areas are further out in the Gulf.

dgadee

Visit site
It's the firing range on the shore south of Cadiz. Operates a lot. Been past it dozens of times! There are range safety vessels and the shore facility uses radar.

Far to shallow there for submarines. Their exercise areas are further out in the Gulf.
Wondered about the depth. But thought that airborne stuff coming in would make a whizzing noise. They were either very accurate or didn't care if they hit us. No sign of safety vessels anywhere but there was a lot of traffic on VHF we couldn't understand.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Could it have been a seismic survey ship?
Seismic survey vessels usually let off their air-guns or whatever source they're using in close proximity to the survey vessel; I've been aboard one as a member of the seismic crew, and the whole vessel jumps every time the guns go off - you learn to sleep through anything! An isolated explosion isn't a seismic survey.

capnsensible

Visit site
Wondered about the depth. But thought that airborne stuff coming in would make a whizzing noise. They were either very accurate or didn't care if they hit us. No sign of safety vessels anywhere but there was a lot of traffic on VHF we couldn't understand.
The range boats aren't easy to see, but if they think you are gonna be a problem, they will visit, usually.

The artillery shots often have a sort of white smoke marker for seeing the fall of shot. Unless a safety boat arrives, I'm told its safe to proceed.

If you have visited any of the local marinas, the offices have a notice board with the range limits and notices of use kinda like Gunfacts in the UK.

The entrance to the Naval Base at Rota is far more interesting when in use for warships......