STUFF TO TURN MY MOBILE PHONE INTO A CHARTPLOTTER

STATUE

Visit site
Stuff - yeh I daren't move beyond STUFF otherwise you will all come back and blind me with science.
So please keep it simple.
I have a brand new Samsung A53 android mobile that purports to have full GPS.
I thought that all I do now is go to the likes of Navionics and buy a MicroSD card with the Channel on ( Solent to Portland would be enough).
But I keep coming across Navionic apps. (Italy keeps coming up in the references??), that appear to be free.
Please, somebody put me right on this.

V1701

Visit site
Essentially:

1 Download app
2 Buy subscription
3 Download specific areas for use offline

Youtube tutorial here (lots available)

It's great and easy to use with a little practise, I use it on an old tablet for the bigger screen area...

davidaprice

Visit site
Luckily the subscription can be used on all your devices, you don't have to pay again for a second device. I use the Navionics app on my Android phone (Samsung S10+), on my iPad and in extremis on my work's iPhone, which I take on longer trips as an emergency backup.

Pye_End

Visit site
Visitmyharbour do raster charts for android if you have a preferance for these. Also there is an Imray app - bit basic, though quite nice looking charts on it. Visitmyharbour cheaper for a full set of UK as Imray splits the UK into 3.

Frank Holden

Visit site
But wait - there's more!
Top 8 Apps For Marine Navigation (Judged By A Navigator) – Casual Navigation

I have iSailor on iphone and ipad . I have the charts from Guatemala to the Horn, 2 folios. No microSD card required, just in the phone/pad memory. There was a fuss in 2019 when they went from free annual upgrades/corrections to paid but I don't bother as not a lot changes in my parts. If sailing in UK waters I would spring for the upgrade cost and also get the tides.

requiem

Visit site
iSailor is one I like, but unfortunately I don't think it's available for Android. The chart pricing is still reasonable, the functionality is decent. The main downside is the cost of features which can add up, but I believe many of those (e.g. NMEA 2k integration) are one-off expenses. It's my recommendation for those in places without free charts.

For Android the two main options that come to mind are OpenCPN (the Dave Register version, not the Maison Automatique) or Navionics. Navionics is quite popular, but in my opinion the functionality is very limited. I keep it around because it often has better chart data for inland or other shallow water areas.

Myself, I mainly use SEAiq on my iDevices. However, unless you have some special deal to get decent pricing on ENC charts, this is likely impractical outside of places like the US and NZ.

OP: the Navionics memory cards are intended for chartplotters, not phones or tablets. The cost is also far more than a subscription purchased via the mobile app. Also, put your phone in airplane mode when you no longer have service, otherwise the battery will die far sooner.

crewman

Visit site
I have Navionics on my Samsung tablet. I transferred the charts to a microSD card and the app could not see them. Had to reload the set onto the main memory. Apparently this is a known feature of Navionics

STATUE

Visit site
Pushing my luck.
Should my new mobile show that satellite position/strength page. Can't see it at the moment. Charts yet to be downloaded

requiem

Visit site
Pushing my luck.
Should my new mobile show that satellite position/strength page. Can't see it at the moment. Charts yet to be downloaded

What page would that be? I don't know that Navionics displays such, but if you want an app to get an idea of potential GPS error a few are listed at: Measuring GNSS accuracy on Android devices

When speaking of error, you also need to be aware of how it's measured. Is it the 68% probability circle? 95%? Further reading at https://www.gpsworld.com/gps-accuracy-lies-damn-lies-and-statistics/

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com

Minerva

Visit site
OpenCPN with the OeSENC and Antares charts still working great on my up to date Samsung A51.

Have you found a nifty way to switch between osenc charts and the Antares ones? On my Win Tablet (with mouse) at the chart table it’s easy to click the wee sausage like buttons at the bottom left of the chart, but my fat fingers struggle to reliably switch between the two on the phone…

I imagine there must be a visibility by scale function which should change between them at a set zoom point, but I’ve not found it…

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I use NV Charts for the South Coast and Europe. They come with a free digital version that is updated from time to time. One drawback is their export to GPX for data sharing does not work.

Not a fan of Navionics or purely navigating on a digital device, but I am old school.