Stuart Turner Generators

G

Buried in the engine room of my boat is a single cylinder water cooled Stuart Turner 12 V Generator (circa1965). The generator itself appears to double as the starter motor. I will probably remove the unit from the boat but would like to re-commission it as a land based unit just for the hell of it!

Has anybody got any literature/wiring diagrams for these generators (guess at 1-2 HP) - I have got the control panel for it but wiring diagram would greatly help. I would be happy to pay photocopy costs etc if necessary.

Thanks in advance

PZ

DanTribe

Visit site
What you have sounds like it may be a Lucas Dynastart ,which I think used cobbled together auto type voltage regulators.The engines were usually magneto so had no electrics themselves.I may still have a wiring diagram in my archives [the loft].I'll have a delve at the weekend.I can think of better ways to have fun than fixing Stuart bloody Turners though!
Dan

G

Thanks Dan,

Common sense says don't bother with it! Unfortunately I have got a soft spot for all this old stuff. Perhaps that is why I have a 37 year old boat.

PZ

DanTribe

Visit site
Duncan
I have found the instruction book for a 1960 Stuart P5.In it is a few lines about the Lucas Dynamotor with a basic wiring diagram.If that is any use I could Email it if you let me know your address in a PM.Don't expect too much detail though,it's very basic stuff.
Dan

scottie

Visit site
stuart turner 2 stoke engines were either R R3 1.5hp
or P series P 5 P6 P55 P66 5hp 6hjp 10hp or 12hp
the dynastart was made by lucas and used as a dynamo starter on the P series
I think that the dynamo on the R3 gen set was a different animal as most dynamoess can be used as a motor
try fairways marine at mldon essex