Stormy Crossing

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Just returned to Plymouth from Southern Brittany bringing the boat home from storage up the Villaine river for the winter.

The weather was absolutely beautiful - until the end!

From Friday to Wednesday the sun shone non stop. The wind also followed us, allowing us to do at least half the trip under spinnaker - stopping off in Penerf - Lorient (st Louis) - Concarnou, and Morgat.

Then we set off for the final leg to L'abervrach where we planned to to stay the night and make an early day start on Thursday morning. However the wind - from the south east was so good - we broad reached up the Chanel Du Four at 8 knots under spinnaker, that we decided to skip L'abervrach and go straight to Plymouth overnight.

The French forecast for their side of the Manche was SE 4 -5 - ideal for a 13 ton 40 ft long keeled ketch.

No sooner than we were out into the channel than we were met with hugh rollers from the East and about 15 knots of wind, so we motor sailed at about 45 degress apparent. Having missed the shipping forecast, I was worried about the weather forecast, and tried to radio Falmouth Coast Guard. To my surprise they picked us up at 120 mile range loud and clear. Forecast was ENE 5-6 increasng 7-8 later then going SE 4-5 later with heavy thundery rain. Not ever liking to turn back - we went on. The motion was pretty violent and we reduced speed to 6 knots which made things a bit calmer.

At about 21:00 the wind increased to 35 knots and we double reefed the main, still motor sailing on the same course of 020. When darkness came, it was one of those inky dark nights, the waves only being seen by the friendly glow of the navlights as we crashed through the waves.

At 23:00 there were large areas of rain showing on the radar blotting out everything astern and to port of us. The wind then suddenly veered to west of south, and decreased to about 15 knots. We change course to keep a broad reach to East, stopped the engine and unrolled the jib to the first marker. Now we were reaching at 7 knots straight into the east going rollers and taking it green ower the bows (this normally only happens off the salcome bar!). We remained on ths course for a short time, whilst deciding whether to gybe onto port tack. I was worried about running before the wind with the steep rollers on our oppostite beam.

About 10 minutes later the heavens opened, the wind backed to SE, and blew up the 40 knots. We bore away on a broad reech, onto due north, tearing along at over 9 knots, with the boat rolling here gunnels under with the beam seas! This was getting just a little frightening! But she stayed on course, and remained easy to helm going absolutely straight. We some how managed to roll the jib away to a scrap and went back onto 020, still doing about 6-7 knots, but thankfully the wind was easing back to a more manageable 20 knots and started to back to the east again. Now we had about 4 ships all lining up for a go at us. Thank god for the radar as the visibility was now pretty poor. We started the engine again and started to motor sail on our course of 020 to Plymouth.

During all this my son had been very seasick and had been put into his bunk.

The wind now settled in to blow 35 knots with frequent heavy rainstorms until about 3 oclock when it gradually eased back. At 08:00 we saw the Edddy stone on radar - the visbility was still poor - and by 9.30 were in the middle of the Navy's thursday War day off Plymouth. We heard loud whistling screeches down below - was this anti submarine sonar???

Finaly we tied up at Torpoint Marina at 10.30: Despite the bad weather we had still covered 120 miles in 19 hours - an average of over 6 knots - not bad for a motor sailor. All I can say is thank god for the wheel house, I would not have fancied the trip in an open cockpit!

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Sounds almost too exciting.

I'm surprised that your son felt anything after your Customs post<g>

It almost sounds as though the weather behaved exactly as I thought it might, for once. As I said, with the wind howling I certainly thought of whilst we were in Alderney - but I did envisage you tucked away soomewhere

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Morning Brian - or evening - I have decided I do NOT like night crossings at this time of the year especially when there is no moon at all. The nights are too bloody long. I think I would have enjoyed it had it been daytime.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Next time I will be tucked up somewhere. I have decided I really don't like night crossings at this time of year!!! Biggest problem when the wind went round to the south was how to deal with the violent rolling with no beam on wind to steady the boat. The cockpit is quite large, so it was incredibly difficult to ease the jib sheets at the same time as winding in on the jib roller, which was on the windward side of the boat with only 2 of us active - one on the helm in pitch black. What amazed me was that the boat just went straight even though she was rolling so much, with little or no weight on the helm.

Alderney can't have been that comfortable in an easterly either

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
I have always found it more acceptable to handle large seas, especially following ones!) at night as you often do a better job by feel than sight - but only if I don't have any sail handling to do!
Welcome back anyway

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: enclosed wheel house

Whilst an enclosed wheel house is extremely comfortable, you do not feel the wind at all, and therefore have to rely on compass and wind direction to get any orientation at all. In an open cockpit you can get by with just feeling where the wind is to a certain extent.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Alderney looked vile - although I should make it clear that I was ashore and staying with my aged mother, not up there on the boat.

As I said in another thread, ther was a big ketch on one of the boys shipping green seas over the bows...

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

As a beginner your story is fascinating. What type of boat is she ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com

Chris

Sounds interesting... Im with you entirely on the wheelhouse sentiment.. fantastic protection from exposure, but you loose the "seat of the pants" feeling that is such a large factor in sailing...also I find that at night I can't see anything at all looking fwd!!

With the handling the genoa furling gear I'm thinking of adding another cleat near the middle the the aft end of the wheelhouse so I can handle this while also handling the genoa sheet on the stbd side.

regds Nick

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather>http://www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

Hi

Very interesting post sounds exciting and good fun now that you are back safe and well . Please tell me ,I thought that a Victory 40 was a open C/C sailing yacht not a enclosed wheelhouse motor sailer ,did Aberdour build them as a Trintella 40 Van de stadt design?
there was one in Preveza going very cheep last season in good comdition but her owner was geting on in age and wanted to sell .cheers bob t

<hr width=100% size=1>boss1

Sybarite

Visit site
I know how you feel. Two years ago I crossed back from the Scilly Isles to Brittany with no moon and in a fog. Worst moment : the traffic lanes off Ushant where you could hear the ships but not see them.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Sounds excellent, it'll be one of these trips you'll reminisce about. .. it is amazing though how dark a dark night is, I've done a few night crossings and when the moon rises it really does lift ones spirits with just a bit of additional light ..

<hr width=100% size=1>

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Excellent story Chris and well written IMHO.

Just one thing - what's all this Manche business. Surely you mean the English Channel./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Magic

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

Chris_Robb

Visit site

Victory 40 was made as both open and with a shelter (like the sailar 40) Mine was built by Hall Boatyard in Walton on the Naze, and the owner added to the wheelhouse to give complete cover. Aberdour built them as the Victory 40 , Trintella as the Trintella IVa. After Aberdour went bust a number were home and professionally completed.

Yes you can pick up some at incredibly good prices, especially if there is a lot of work to do. They were built like a preverbial brick shithouse, no sandwich in the decks, massive engine installation etc, so if you do find one in need of TLC its certainly worth doing up. A good well maintained one will get a good price.

Very underestimated as a cruising yacht - sails well - behaves impecably when over canvassed! no tendancy to broach at all even under spinnaker -

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Thank god for Radar

One can see very little, and can feel quite isolated, The radar on a night like that really made all the difference.

<hr width=100% size=1>