Storm Isha

fisherman

Visit site
The vultures from the media head straight for Porthleven hoping for some disastrous footage. This morning The Independent offers "Live, storm Isha batters Porthleven" with an archive image from a previous storm, and links you to the harbour webcam.
It's low water and not very rough.
Lazy journalism or what?

Anyway, it was windy last night. Seen worse.

johnalison

Visit site
Here we go again. A gust with wind speed equivalent to the range for F11 does not make a F11. It is the sustained wind speed that should be counted. A proper F11 may have gusts well above that.
However clearly very windy yesterday and into today so hope not too much damage suffered.
In the Morning Cloud gale I wrote down the forecasts, as one did in those days, and drew pretty little synoptic charts from the weather reports, that bore a loose relationship to reality but kept me amused. Fs 11 and 12 appeared in a number of the reports from weather stations around the channel. We were stuck on the trots at Brightlingsea, occasionally risking a dinghy trip ashore. We had got to the stage of wondering how to get a train home to Hertfordshire when on the Friday morning I got the usual forecast. The reports, which I still have somewhere, gave F11 at the Varne and F6 at Sandettie, but I noticed that the rain was falling on both our decks, instead of the horizontal that we had become used to. It turned out that there was a flat calm, allowing us to throw our lines off and motor on a glassy sea to Heybridge. A couple of hours later and it was blowing a hoolie again. The episode was strange because we were nowhere near the centre of the depression.

Ribtecer

Visit site
It's was windy and raining here in Hampshire but as you say Stemar nothing exceptional.

Its winter, you get storms coming thru.

capnsensible

Visit site
The warnings and dramatization are for the snowflake generation, the ones who have never seen a winter storm, the same people get a warning that Heartbeat may contain upsetting violence and are given a helpline when its finished.
The Met Office give warnings when there is potential for damage from windstrength and precipitation. Nothing to do with woke. It's called 'forewarning' and enables people to make decisions in advance. Seems quite sensible to me and looking across uk news reports, damage has occurred in widespread areas.

As boaty people, who on here would go to sea without a weather forecast???

Ribtecer

Visit site
The Met Office give warnings when there is potential for damage from windstrength and precipitation. Nothing to do with woke. It's called 'forewarning' and enables people to make decisions in advance. Seems quite sensible to me and looking across uk news reports, damage has occurred in widespread areas.

As boaty people, who on here would go to sea without a weather forecast???
It has got ridiculous - I take your point, but it's getting like the boy who cried wolf.

Yes there will be those flooded or without power, but again that's normal for winter times with aging and badly maintained infrastructure.

Davy_S

Visit site
Of course we need weather forecasts, but the news media delight in gloom and doom, they have shares in the Samaritans, they are not happy unless they can cause depression, it is made worse with 24hour news, the naming of storms is stupid, the labelling of events that end in crisis, global warming crisis, cost of living crisis etc it gets a bit tedious day after day.

Alfie168

Visit site
Yes there will be those flooded or without power, but again that's normal for winter times with aging and badly maintained infrastructure.

For once the ageing and badly maintained electrical infrastructure to these houses didn't go " bang " last night, but I had arranged my emergency lighting on the kitchen table.. just in case 😁

viago

Visit site
You guys must be psychic. I was just about to start a thread about named storms, wondering if we were getting a little blasé about them.
The first year of named storms was 2015/6 when we had 11 in total. Since then, we have usually had around 6 or 7 although 2022/3 was quiet with only 2 Met Office named storms, although we were impacted by 2 other storms named by other countries.
The naming season runs from September to August. So far this year we have had 9 named storms, so this could be a record breaking year. It is, of course, just too easy to talk about climate change and El Niño. However, I think that it is clear that we should expect more and more severe, storms. That view is supported by Storm Isha Suzanne Gray expert comment - University of Reading

there's certainly an increase in the naming of a bit of a blow and media attention.

they are usually damp squibs though.

f7 through the straits would never have raised an eyebrow when i live there.

it all helps the kids learn the climate it's changing though. hardly surprising so many have mental health issues, having to listen to this doomsday cult non stop.

it's good to see from your link from an expert that there is strong evidence that violent storms might be associated with more rainfall.

i think she might be right.

Ribtecer

Visit site
For once the ageing and badly maintained electrical infrastructure to these houses didn't go " bang " last night, but I had arranged my emergency lighting on the kitchen table.. just in case 😁
So had I, thankfully not needed.

But I was really referring to the poorly derdged rivers and culverts near where they've build houses on land that used to flood.

Ribtecer

Visit site
"Professor Suzanne Gray, Professor of Meteorology, offers expert comment on Storm Isha."

What on earth does "expert comment" mean? Proof, I don't think so.

Even you, in your post use the words "supported by". All these experts use such unproven terms like "experts believe" etc etc.

If they are experts and know this is why, show us some dam proof. But they cant, because its all opinions and without their doomsday opinions they have no jobs, no COP28 and no private jets.

Last edited:

Alfie168

Visit site
So had I, thankfully not needed.

But I was really referring to the poorly derdged rivers and culverts near where they've build houses on land that used to flood.

The policy of not dredging drainage in the Lincolnshire fens of all places, allegedly for "environmental" reasons, but really as a cost cutting measure ( profits ) was one of the reasons we sold up and left the area pronto in 2010. They are sleepwalking towards a major inundation. The insurers have already got itchy feet as they are expected to carry the can.

The farmers are at last beginning to protest more strongly...better late etc

viago

Visit site
The vultures from the media head straight for Porthleven hoping for some disastrous footage. This morning The Independent offers "Live, storm Isha batters Porthleven" with an archive image from a previous storm, and links you to the harbour webcam.
It's low water and not very rough.
Lazy journalism or what?

Anyway, it was windy last night. Seen worse.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

nice bit of surf, nothing more.

veshengro

Visit site
Just to add to the picture, it blew quite hard here yesterday although nothing unexpected in January, and certainly not noteworthy.
Today in the far SW of Wales it is a beautiful sunny, almost windless mild winters day. (y)

tico

Visit site
Glad to hear that. I did ask a contact to check on the floaty thing 70mph gusts in Milford last night. Was somewhat bumpy over the channel early this morning on the early flight from Hong Kong, but landing at Heathrow was smooth and completely without drama.

Other threads that may be of interest