Stopping leaks

martin

Visit site
I have just come back from hand pumping about 4 buckets of water out of the engine bay bilges of my boat. Princess seem to think its getting inside the radar arch and trickling down into the engine bay, not sure myself? Anyway, they may be right. Any tips on trackin down leaks and stopping them ?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Captain Tully\'s!!

Spelt some thing like that anyway.
Brilliant stuff and no mess. Its thinner than water so it finds the leak for you.
just squeeze a bit in where you think the leak might be, if it disappears theres a leak so just put a bit more down every half hour or so untill it stops.
Mended the leaks round my windows when the buggers got shaken to death rounding Start point in a bit of a blow and saved fortunes in resealing them.

Haydn

G

Four buckets doesn't sound too bad. (I'm assuming you mean a boat here, and aren't a neurosurgeon and have just pumped four buckets of water out of Princess Margaret)

Ahem, anyway. Is it salty water? Or fresh. If salty, it may have come in from the sternglands and they need tightening up, where prop exits to outside.

Otherwise, would have to be quite a mega and strange leak to get in via radar arch and not make anything else wet on the way down to bilges. Is the carpet nice and dry?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
For you to get that amount almost certainly has to be sternglands unless you have a leaking seacock somewhere. As Matt says you have to taste it, but don't drink too much!!

G

This reminds me of a leak on my Princess 388, water in bilges, thought as usuall stern glands, tightened up still the same, turned out to be, the calorifier has a blow off valve, connected to it is a length of hose that exits to the bilge in the engine room next to the port stern gland area, new valve fitted, problem sorted.

byron

RIP
Visit site
It can be the radar arch, strange as it sounds. Look at the stainless arch that carries burgees etc. The base of it can act as a trap if the sealant has unsealed, this directs the water down the screw(s) and then it can travel by whatever whichway down to your bilge. Obviously all the other good advice given here should be investigated too.

©2001
www.education-jobs.co.uk
www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Would you still reccomend tasting your bilge water if you suspected a holding tank leak?

martin

Visit site
yes it has got A/C and could be domestic system. Am gonna drain down all systems and run it on hardstanding for a while so will experiment a bit then.

stewart

Visit site
Don't think it's this, but whilst we're on the subject of aircon. I had a problem in the summer in Spain - the aircon ducting goes over the TV/Video/Stereo to a vent and had been running for a day or two. So much water has condensed on the outside of the ducting that it was dripping, or rather pouring, over the electronics. I took the stereo out and poured the water into the sink.

Problem now solved by some this plastic sheeting over the electronics so that water drains away, and use the a/c less too.

Strikes me as a strange problem because the a/c is factory fitted and so is really a design problem, but seems such an obvious mistake to have been made. Anyone heard of similar?

G

Can\'t find it

Had a look for Captain Tully's on the web (tried various spellings) - no joy.

Anyone know more about this product?

paulineb

Visit site
Re: Can\'t find it

It's definitely called Captain something - Captain Courageous, Captain Sensible, Captain Caveman - Chrispy knows, he was using on his window seals last week. CHRISPY !! - what's it called ??

Pauline B

Piers

www.playdeau.com
V39s have been notorious for leaks, ever since they were introduced.

Mine is now cured after 4 years of searching and searching...and £££s & £££s.

So, I have sent you a private message - so do call me and we'll see what can be done.

Piers du Pre
MBM Cruising Club enthusiast

G

Re: CAPTAIN CREEK ...nm

Still can't find anything on the web (tried Captain, Cap'n, creek, creak etc. etc.)Oooh, I'm all intreagued now.

Any other ideas? Manufacturer? Shop?

Other threads that may be of interest