Stolen from Faversham

CJ1

Visit site
My boat was broken into last Tuesday and they stole a boat owners toolkit Branded Osculti, Some Nikon marine binoculars (one eye socket chewed by a dog), a Leatherman Wave multitool and a yellow safety knife. If anyone is offered any of these items extremely cheaply, please ask the seller where he got them, and beware. The thieves smashed my padlock to open the hatch. I’m interested to know how other owners protect their boats when berthed in isolated locations.

Old Harry

Visit site
Sorry to hear about it. The consensus seems to be that one should not over-protect the companionway or greater damage may be caused. Only removing valuables and a decent insurance can probably do any good.
My hatches are alarmed

Capt Popeye

Visit site
My hatches are alarmed
Yea think that Alarmed is OK, but locked and bolted down with through fastenings just might invite the crooks to use plenty of force and seriously damage the boats hatchways and hatches necessitating a good deal of time spent in a Boatyard fixing it all up. The Insuance for putting right serious damage can be quite considerable

Cantata

Visit site
Very sorry to hear that. Can I ask, where at Faversham? Very close to home for my boat too, and for many of my fellow club members.

oldgit

Visit site
Access from shore or afloat. ?
From my experience sadly its about 50/50.
On one of my boats a Princess 33 the damage getting in, far out weighed to stuff taken ie. nothing of value.
The boat was off afloat, only access would have been by boat.

tillergirl

Visit site
Reflecting on one of the points in the original thread, we had a similar theft from Tiller Girl at Salcot Creek. Clearly she was targeted: one bunk cushion, two warps, a torch and water hose stolen. Padlock neatly sheered and all left neatly. Had they not been properly equipped for the padlock, the damage would have been extensive. Bit of a toss of the coin here: spontaneous or random might be deterred from a good lock: targeted and planned? Best to leave it unlocked. They were determined to get in. Not sure a basic alarm helps unless someone could be within earshot: a camera? I was tempted.

Incidentally the day before I ran out to the SW Sunk swatch survey, I left all my kit on (deliberately). HW on the mooring was about 3.00am. The depth trace looks rather like a boat's wash went past around that time. Only two other moorings occupied past mine and they hadn't been moved. Oyster dredging wouldn't have been at 3am. Just paranoia I suppose.