Stinky 4 Sail

tome

www.google.co.uk
My mate Pablo (who's a stinkie) is coming for a sail Monday. Bad timing cos the IOW is shut on a Monday, but the Thai restaurant is open as are the Anchor & Dukes of Hazard (or is it York?).

The other 2 Mufateers scouted the trip last weekend and didn't get back til the Monday due to a huge nav error which put us outside the Folly Sunday night instead of tucked up at home. Have to report the food was great which is good news as last year it wasn't great at all. Yellow cards all round from swmb's on late return.

Pablo's a raggie virgin ('scuse me) and I want to make sure he enjoys himself. He's well used to the trip in a Fairline, so it will be interesting to see how he finds the extra 2 hours passage time.

How best to handle this?

Please avoid the temptation to hijack this thread - I've done the same trip in his Fairline and we had a brilliant time. This time it's a baby Oyster but pleased to report the wc is only weeks old.

Helpful suggestions?

Reap

Visit site
hmmmm...are you drunk?
I haven't a clue what your talking about!!!!

beer.gif

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yacht-links.net>http://www.yacht-links.net</A>

BrendanS

Visit site
Makes perfect sense to me. Perhaps I've been drinking too?

If he's a sailing virgin, give him plenty to do. Stinkpotters are boaters too, and understand winds and tides, but from a different perspective. Get him winching and involved in actually sailing the boat. Show him how to trim the sails and make him responsible for getting the best out of the rig, and tell him how to do it, while you helm. Then swap, and have him helm while you trim.

Don't let him sit back and just enjoy the cruise, he'll wonder why things are so slow and uninteresting. Once he understands how the boat works, he'll be entranced, just like everyone who goes sailing.

Then find another boat to race, and tell him it's his fault they are overtaking, he'll start learning fast ;)

tome

www.google.co.uk
Good advice Brendan - thanks. I'll certainly get him involved in sail trim etc. You're right about him understanding tides as he's discovered it makes a huge difference to his fuel bills.

Can confirm the Baan Thai is open Monday (I phoned them) and I hadn't been drinking more than usual when I posted this!