Stingo

jimi

Visit site
English

did'nt think the English existed then?

Thought that particular breed of mongrel emerged later?

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: English

they were english
they just did not know it

I am not rising to your bait
haven't you got sheep to worry?

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Metabarca

Visit site
Re: Veni etc.

Acksherly, Caesar said it (or was quoted as saying it by Suetonius - translated as Sweaty Tony in English) - in 47 BC after conquering Pharnaces, King of Pontus. Apparently, Pharnaces had some Habits of Mass Irritation - not paying taxes to Rome or saying 'Sir' to Caesar, for instance.

tcm

Visit site
Re: Historical notes.

This is all true. Later, the Germans (Teutones) suffered the same defect so all German guards were unable to hear even boomy-voiced fat gits like Richard Burton laying mines just 6 feet beneath them on mission-critical bridges.

claymore

Visit site
Re: Historical notes.

Hmm - I'm not sure you can substantiate your facts here tcm. I would venture to suggest that the following may have had some bearing on issues.
1 - It was very cold - there was a lot of snow so that proves it and this may well have led to the ancient Teuton ritual of ear slapping as a preventative measure in the fight against severe frostbite. this in turn does lead to partial (temporary) hearing impairment.
2 -By the time the splitter of Liz Taylors whiskers came to be blowing up the mission critical bridges - he'd already knackered up a fairly recently invented telecabine and ruined a perfectly good factory which was peacefully engaged in the manufacture of heavy water - the very best sort and a pleasant alternative to light rain.
This again was done using noisy explosives. I think you'll find I'm right here in that Caesar can hardly be blamed for this mass germanic deafness - but TNT can.
Hope this helps

regards
Claymore

NigeCh

Visit site
You\'re probably right

< The sea often teaches people the understanding of tolerance and humility but in your case it seems to have failed! >

I'm no macho but am a risk taker - Sofar I've been lucky. Would I take a production Beneteau Oceanis 390 around the world? Why not? The risk is no greater nor less than taking any other boat. That a Beneteau 390 lost it's rudder on last years ARC rally doesn't mean that all 390's are deemed useless on ocean crossings, nor does it mean that if you add a lump of lead to the keel you will have a safer boat.

For what it's worth, I think that Stingo should follow his dreams and just go do it. The way the original thread was hijacked into a stability issue was, IMO, a red herring just as the word 'Bendytoy' is, IMO, also inappropriate.

I'll listen to myself and carry on doing what I enjoy most .... and that's sailing on all all types of boats learning as I go along. AND yes, I do listen to other's advice; sometimes I really goof and have to laugh at myself .... as we all have to do from time to time.

But, I do disagree with you about advices given ... When we ask for advice, IMO, we only want to listen to the advice that concurrs with what we think. Stingo has a boat and a dream. I think that he doesn't need to ask whether he should do it on an Oceanis 390 - Other smaller and less suited boats have done it many times, so all Stingo needs to do is after sufficient prepraration, is to cast off and go island hopping ...

Cheers,

Grasshopper Nige(Ch)

jimi

Visit site
Re: Prove me wrong

They probably all are ... in the wrong hands ... et vice versa (pronounced ate weaky wersa)

NigeCh

Visit site
Cogito, ergo sum

(And that header is probably the most arrogant post ever made here) ... I stand by what I have said. Cloud-Cuckoo-Lands are the self-made lands of our own making until the dreams come true. Which they sometimes do.

jimi

Visit site
Re: A rubber tree plant

You do realise hemp is for making ropes for manky old boats not for smoking?/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
Re: Prove me wrong

I'm not saying that most can't. But you were claiming (or at least you'd written) that all boats are as safe as each other. I don't really believe that a 30 foot centreboarder designed for creek crawling is as safe as a 72 foot British steel cahllenge (or whatever it is now) yacht.