Stingo

NigeCh

Visit site
Veni, Vidi, Vici.

All advices are conservative. They are mainly from people who don't sail or haven't sailed beyond the next horizon.

Listen to yourself. Listen to yourself alone.

If you are going to do it, then do it.

Stop bleating.

Stingo

Visit site
Ah, so after a hot babe leaves my boat I should say "Vidi, Vici, Veni" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> - now showing at a computer near you

jimi

Visit site
I was giving you a translation, not relating an experience./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Do you know it should be pronounced waynee weedy weeky?

aod

Visit site
Non quis sed quid.... Nig

Listen Grasshopper !

Stingo asked the forum a legitimate question seeking opinions and advice not non applicable macho philosophical garbage. Only an psychotic listens to himself and himself alone.

As for bleating well, I never perceived his question to be bleating and neither did anyone else but hey! If you are perceiving issues that aren't there I can understand because if you listen to yourself and yourself alone it's probably because no one else can be bothered to talk to you. When you are isolated you often distort the facts to suit your own ego.

Massive presumptions about the skills and experience of those who have offered constructive advice, which again fits in with distorted perspectives.

Veni, Vidi, Vici. I came, I saw, I conquered !

Bo**ox!

I have never known of anyone who has conquered the sea, but there are plenty of fools that have tried. Some fools died trying, others have been lucky. I guess you were lucky.

The sea often teaches people the understanding of tolerance and humility but in your case it seems to have failed!

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Non quis sed quid.... Nig

The irony of this posting is exquisite. A less macho man that NigeCh is it hard to imagine, while his accuser's very name is "DEFIANCE".

The point is well worth debating - sailing is by its nature a hazardous passtime and we take a risk every time we step onto a boat - and to distinguish between what is "adventurous" and what is "foolhardy" is difficult or impossible.

Even if an Oceanis is not the best boat in which to cross oceans, I don't think it would be clearly stupid to attempt it - so if you were asked to deliver an Oceanis 390 across an Ocean, would you decline on the grounds of safety?

aod

Visit site

That's the name of the boat and no.....I didn't name it!

Well, nigch posting sounded like macho posturing to me because that's what it was. He doesn't have to be macho in person to posture on the internet does he?

As for adventurous V's foolhardy I would have thought the difference dependent on circumstance would be easily identifiable at the base of the pyramid but less distinguishable at the top.

Would I deliver an Oceanis 390 trans ocean?...........................Well it depends on many factors and the basic question is to simplistic to warrant a response.

I do however agree that the sailing is by its nature a hazardous pastime and we take a calculated risk every time we step onto a boat which is probably one of the reasons we all do it.

The operative word being 'calculated' which is what Stingo is attempting to do. Minimise the risk and yet enjoy his intended adventure by increasing his knowledge and fore planning using this forum as a resource. I would have thought this to be a common sense approach so why on earth should that be criticised?

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Caesar Indeed

It's a long time since I was at school - but I think Caesar was referring to France (Gaul) rather than Britain.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I have an extensive knowledge of Gaul under...

...the Romans, gained from reading every Asterix book, and I can assure you that Caesar never vici'd Gaul. He merely built a series of log forts, a few roads, and lived in sumptuous tents shaped like privvies, while Asterix and his mates beat up the Romans on a very regular basis. Also, apparently, all the Romans suffered badly from two-short-plank syndrome.

bedouin

Visit site

My posting was rather tongue in cheek.

An online forum is an imperfect medium. In order to fit within the constraints of that medium we are often compelled to simplify both questions and answers. The danger in this is that it is easy either to appear to over simplify, or to appear too dogmatic and extreme.

Clearly a complete answer to the original question is not feasible on this forum, and is outside the competence of the contributors (at least without knowing a lot more about both boat and crew).

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: me too

yes indeed
the english were conquered on the basis that we refused to fight during our tea breaks so the romans only waged war during those and we were jolly well conquered wot!

veni vidi vici was said by Julius on said conquering.

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.