STILL TRYING TO FIX MY TOILET

Miker

Visit site
Seacock is 1 1/4" and toilet and vented loop 1 1/2". Tried heating and stretching 1 1/4" hose without success. Couldn't stretch it sufficiently without splitting it. Next thought is either to push 1 1/4" inside 1 1/2" hose near vent and above water line, and seal with a suitable adhesive sealant. Other option is to put short length of 1 1/4" hose on seacock below water line and push 1 1/2" hose over it, again using sealant plus jubilee clips.
Advice please on practicality of options and suitable sealant.

Strathglass

Visit site
Other than changing the seacock to the normal 1.5", you could buy a multipurpose hose reducer pn 510498 from www.asap.supplies.com and fit it above the waterline between your 1.5" and 1.25" hose pipes. This should resolve your problem. In the past I have had problems with raw water cooling inlets trying to match 1" with 1.125" so your .25" difference must be even more difficult.
Iain

tubba

Visit site
It depends on the wall thickness of the 11/4" hose,if it`s only about 1/8" you should be
o.k.I have done it load`s of times on classic cars,I have found that if you use sealer they
can slide as you nip the clips if the pipe your fitting it to is only short.
I use U-pol tiger seal but someone with a more marine background may know of something
better, I know it won`t come off anything including overalls!!

LORDNELSON

Visit site
I have missed earlier exchanges on this subject so I may have misssed some important detail, but I would feel that whilst the options discussed are likely to work, will you sleep soundly after fixing things up with sealant etc.,? A new 1.5 inch skin fitting (assuming a GRP or wooden boat) will only cost about £15, is not too difficult to fix and I personally would feel happier that the boat would not fill when I was not on her. What would the insurance position be if your boat filled from a leak from an unconventional hose fitting?

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
How did you try heating the pipe. Hot water is usually not good enough. Try a hot air gun used for paint stripping but don't set the boat on fire. You may need oven gloves to handle the pipe. The problem is to get the plastic above its glass point, at which it becomes pliable, and depending on the grade of pipe this can be quite high. The pipe stays hot for some time so you can heat it in a safe place and then move it to the fitting once hot.

Chris Stannard

ccscott49

Visit site
I know vetus do an adaptor, but I would want the biggest hose I could get on my heads, so changing the seacock would be better, but how is the arrangement? Through hull, then sea cock, then pipe adaptor? could you not just change the adaptor from seacock to pipe? It's a bit hard to suggest something when I can't see it, sorry.

Strathglass

Visit site
You are getting a lot of conflicting advice. Please think about the following.
1. Change your seacock to 1 1/2" if it is practical.
2. Double clip whatever pipe is connected to the seacock.
3. It is virtually impossible to expand a proper odour free pipe from 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" without compromising its strength and integrity.
4. If it is not possible to change the 1 1/4" then a secure coupling between two different pipe sizes must be made.
5. The part no for the coupling in my previous posting will give a direct coupling between 1 1/2" and 1 1/4"with no intermediate steps. This is a compromise but if the join is above the waterline and double clipped then the risk is minimal.
6. In the past I have fabricated couplers by welding two stainless tubes together for other applications.
7. However you decide to resolve your problem, best of luck
Iain

mica

Visit site
We used hot oil for softening our pipes when boiling water wasn't sufficient. That is cooking oil, in a small saucepan, its no more dangerous than cooking chips, but keep an eye on it.

Regards,

MICA

Miker

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
Tried boiling water to soften the hose but it was not hot enough. A paint stripper and gloves melted the hose which came away when twisted, and applying less heat and forcing it over a piece of tapered wood ended up in splitting the hose.
I have found the coupler in ASAP-supplies which looks as though it will fit the bill. But I was just wondering what is the skin fitting for £15 mentioned below.