stiff foam

bromleybysea

Visit site
In my ongoing attempts to encourage my best beloved to take a greater interest in the boat, I thought I would ask her to make me a couple of backrests for the saloon berths. To be fair, she has offered! I want them to be fairly ridged and I have a couple of cockpit cushions I got at Dauntless last year which seem to have a very stiff, high density filling which would be ideal- any ideas what this might be and where I can get some?

Trundlebug

Visit site
Not sure where you can get it but it's likely to be reconstituted bits of scrap foam all rebonded together. Can't remember the industry name for it but it's used extensively in all forms of upholstery manufacture including OEM automotive and marine because it is good, long lasting and relatively low cost.

Easy to confirm, just have a look at it underneath the covering and see if the foam is all different colours.

This foam is firmer than all other kinds of firm virgin foam. Ideal if the cushions are quite thin (can be as thin as 1.5 inches and still comfortable).

You could check name and availability by phoning an upholstery supplier for the marine / automotive / caravan trade (check yell.com or local classifieds in boat mags)

Hope that's some help

mon_ami

Visit site
I suspect the cockpit cushions are closed cell foam--it doesn't absorb water, so I believe it is used quite frequently for cockpit cushions. I've been trying to find it myself, but haven't found a good source in the UK yet.

bromleybysea

Visit site
Not sure where you can get it but it's likely to be reconstituted bits of scrap foam all rebonded together. Can't remember the industry name for it but it's used extensively in all forms of upholstery manufacture including OEM automotive and marine because it is good, long lasting and relatively low cost.

Easy to confirm, just have a look at it underneath the covering and see if the foam is all different colours.

This foam is firmer than all other kinds of firm virgin foam. Ideal if the cushions are quite thin (can be as thin as 1.5 inches and still comfortable).

You could check name and availability by phoning an upholstery supplier for the marine / automotive / caravan trade (check yell.com or local classifieds in boat mags)

Hope that's some help

Yep, I reckon that's the stuff- called chip foam and used for kneelers etc. It's open cell, but I think that's OK below.