Stickers

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Nearly all of the chat/argument/hostility about wake etc seems to be focussed around the problem without many practical solutions to resolving it. Some have suggested legislation, some others education & training without anything getting a general buy in.

My suggestion for tackling the problem would be similar to the one adopted by responsible road hauliers wanting to encourage their drivers to behave well. They are titled "Well Driven" and have a number for you to call, suspect that most calls are for the opposite but, the intention is good.

That is to have stickers for powerboats that identify them within, say 100m, a certain range. Instead of having a general freephone number we could adopt a certain channel frequency and the worried/distressed yachtie could call any offending powerboater to express their concern. Naturally this would be heard by others as well and the name and shame element would come into it.

Nothing particularly new about the idea as ID licensing numbers have been used on boats for years, the benefit of a sticker with a name is that they could be personalised and colourful as long as they are visible and most boats have some sort of sticker on anyway.

wakeup

Visit site
I saw a variant of this on the back of a van the other day...

It read "How's my driving - Phone 1 800 EAT SH!T"

I suspect the real culprits would display the above..

yada yada..

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Sounds like a potential ranter's charter.

I can imagine some people i have sailed with even being ashore with a set of binoculars ranting on the net (believe me i am not kidding) about some boat that they can see tearing up a channel.

If it Cooks Flys or Floats, Rent it.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Hmmm, I was hoping that there wouldn't be a White Van Man theme emerging from this.

If the stickers or ID requirements were obligatory then there wouldn't have to be any need for variants such as this. After all, vehicles all carry reistration numbers, visible within a certain range and some still break the rules, expect that is when plod or speed traps are known to be within the vicinity, then they all behave.

Same with this idea, conscious of being called up, potential offenders would begin to comply.

Question is how to get it up and running?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
You Forget. It's big PLC's that put the stickers on the back of trucks, for there image. Dont see the bosses car's with them on. Infact I've never seen a car with well driven stickers on the back. Would you put them on the back of your car??
I;'m now thinking of repainting the boat with camaflage paint. And crossing the name out. Just to be on the safe side.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

wakeup

Visit site
Or rather than a MOBO burgee we could have a 'You just been washed out by a member of MOBO CHAT' sticker on the transom :)

Seriously though, one way to implement this could be through insurance companies offering different rates for those that do display appropriate registration and those that don't.

For instance this works with the premiums for sports boats. If you intend to tow a biscuit or banana type inflatables as well as skiers then the premium is almost double. This worked for me, I took the cheaper option and only tow skiers.

Perhaps the insurance companies could set up a database and offended parties could report boats to the database. This could be referenced by all insurers at policy renewal time. The big problem with this though is who would police the data and make sure incidents were properly recorded/reported. You'd probably end up with a situation with all raggies reporting all stinkies.

yada yada..

jfm

Visit site
Insurance companies pursuing idealist agenda

Whoaaa. Reality check. Insurance companies are run for their shareholders, not as police. They wont charge higher/lower premium for reasons of policy, they have to match their premiums to risk, else they will go bust. The skier/banana thing is nothing to do with insurers just plain not liking bananas, it's becos of higher perceived risk.

jfm

Visit site
The rise and rise of PrivaPlate limited

Praps you could get a small firm in Lymington to make you an LCD perspex plate to go over the sticker, then you wham the "make it opaque" switch when a raggie is about to report ya! :)

Did they work, BTW? I unnerstand the passive state is black/opaque, they draw current while transparent, so flat battry a bit if you leave switched on in Biggin car park over a weekend... er..oops kettle pot black

wakeup

Visit site
Re: Insurance companies pursuing idealist agenda

Totally agree.

However they might increase premiums for those that don't/won't display registration information as they are probably more likely to do stupid things safe in the knowledge they can't be identified and reported (To whom I am not sure, CG I guess) and would therefore be a higher risk.

yada yada..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by wakeup on Tue Jun 18 17:12:01 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

RayB

Visit site
Great idea, I nominate your home telephone number to go on the stickers................................!

"Hopefully that won't be too expensive to fix?"

stamfordian

Visit site
No,
one more step towards big brother is watching,only it woundn,t be big brother it would be in some cases,a vindictive minority of raggie,who would just love to put up your insurance premium,no thanks.

terryw

Visit site
Raggie Stickers

If you want stickers on Powerboats then what about having them on Raggies also, so we can warn other Powerboaters about yachts that insist on crossing your bow without reason.
On my last trip to Poole I had to cut the throttle completely 3 times to avoid a collision. The first was a woman who cut right across the main channel to cross my bow literally within inches, and laughing her head off. She then went and did the same thing to the boat following me. The second who was flying a blue ensign, travelling on the wrong side of the channel, just pointed for me to pass him "starboard to starboard", and the third at least had the courtesy to thank me for not hitting him as he seemed out of control.

tcm

Visit site
Re: Yes, but .....

Others are allowed to cross your bows "without reason" aren't they? You're out for a pleasure cruise, so is she. Today, on the way to work in a car, I had to reduce to zero throttle on numerous occassions to avoid a collision. In a boat, you have to give way tto all sailors, and to all power vessels approaching between 12 and 5 o'clock. Not just to the ones that say thanks. Give way might mean reduce throttle, stop, or turn hard to port, and in poole harbour on a busy weekend one cd expect to do so several times, imho.

It isn't "normal" in a powrboat to be able to lift to crusing speed as soon as the limits allow and then "deal with it" by turning a bit left and right. It's normal to have to reduce revs quite often, esp poole and solent.

Or was I just reading your text wrongly?

G

Err, we're Part 1 registered, so we have a large sticker on the transom with the boat's name and port of registration. So does anyone else who's Part 1. SSR registered boats have their SSR number. So all we need is to insist that everyone is either Part 1 or SSR. Anyone not displaying a name/number can have their boat impounded.

Once everyone is registered, it would make the introduction of an anuual 'marine usage charge' much simpler, and the register could also be used to ensure that all owbers were appropriately insured and qualified. The easiest way of doing this may be to tattoo the SSR number or name of the vessel on the owner's arm, or some other easily checked location.

By modifying GPS sets (which would be made compulsory) to record speed and location details, the RNLI could be made to perform random checks on the boat's usage history, much like the tacho in a lorry. They could also carry out random breath tests while they're aboard, of course. And they could probably check into your political allegiance, to see if you were likely to cause any trouble.

halcyon

Visit site
Re: Yes, but .....with humour

This is the transcript of an ACTUAL radio conversation between a US
naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in
October 1995.

Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10- 95.

Canadians: Please divert your course 15 degrees South to avoid a collision.

Americans: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND
LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE
DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT
YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE
DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE
SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Have a nice day

Brian

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Yes, but .....with humour

Gad. That one's been about a bit. Actually it was the aircraft carrier Enterprise at the Edistone Light house and the bloke in the light house was seaman Jones.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn