Stern Lader on a Counter Stern Yacht

ski

Visit site
I am considering fitting a stern ladder to my Bowman 36. It has a small but pretty transom , the other consideration is fixed or folding ladder. I reckon the bottom rung should be at least 18" in the water. Any ideas please ?

You will see from the attachment the problem

Attachments

• Bowman 36025.jpg
    Bowman 36025.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 5

prv

Visit site
Kindred Spirit had a similar shape stern. The original swim ladder clipped into keyhole plates inset into the teak gunwale, on the starboard side about level with the front of the cockpit. It lived in the locker when not in use.

Pete

VicS

Visit site
Its not going to look pretty on that stern

How I solved the problem of a ladder on a small transom below, but maybe not particularly relevant to your needs.

I fitted mine after I "fell in" when on my own with nobody nearby either. A ladder stowed in a locker would not have been very useful!

18" not deep enough IMHO

DSCF1051.jpg

DSCF1053.jpg

Last edited:

Billjratt

Visit site
I've just been through all my pictures but none show my solution, unfortunately I'll have to describe it.
We had an ericson39 with a similar stern to your drawing. The boat came with a ladder which was swung down from a 'back gate' position ( in the pulpit) and had stand-offs to the bottom of the transom. The problem, like Vics, was that it didn't reach far enough under water to be of any use -especially in a panic situation. Unlike Vics I couldn't cope with a rope rung as it would disappear under the boat. I should add that we were in the Med and needed access a lot when swimming. I bought another ladder which was a nice modern telescopic setup - intended for something much posher and newer than ours.I attached it to the second last rung of the existing ladder so that it 'unfolded' and lay against it, and its own weight untelescoped it to full depth. When stored it was of course upside down, which drained it nicely and it sat neatly on the deck at the pulpit gate. The fact that it had comfortable wooden treads made me get bits of wood fitted to the original rungs as well - bliss on bare feet!
You might just be able to see it stowed here -
DSC00018_zpsljsvsv8p.jpg

Last edited:

GrahamD

Visit site
We have a similar transom on our Marcon 34, with probably a similar transom angle. We have a hinged stainless boarding ladder which pivots from the edge of the deck. Underway it is pulled up and folded, so it stows against the guard wires across the transom.

When fully unfolded, the bottom of the ladder is in the water so a swimmer or MOB can climb up onto the boat. On the inside of the bottom of the top part of the hinged ladder, and at right angles to it, is a welded D shaped rung. This has enough depth to rest against the transom when the ladder is down (it is padded to avoid damage to the gel coat). This means that the ladder remains vertical and solid when someone is climbing up.

We have a rope spliced to the bottom rung of the top half of the ladder which enables us to lift the ladder; we fold it before stowing against the guard wire.

It's a practical and very workable arrangement , if a bit difficult to describe, but I can get some photos done if this would be helpful

VicS

Visit site
Unlike Vics I couldn't cope with a rope rung as it would disappear under the boat.

Its not going to be easy and is as yet untested. Hopefully though will turn a nearly hopeless situation into one with a glimmer of hope.

Next to impossible to climb back on board, even onto small boat, when all you have available is a righted but swamped dinghy.

heavy clothing or even an automatic LJ would have made it absolutely impossible.

prv

Visit site
Here's a pic of Kindred Spirit's:

IMG_2496_zps1fe4db7f.jpg

(It's mounted slightly wonkily in that pic)

Obviously not a lot of use for self-rescuing (my plan was to use the bobstay chainplate as a step; never needed to find out) but for swimming it was fine.

Pete

Last edited:

knuterikt

Visit site

ski

Visit site
We have a similar transom on our Marcon 34, with probably a similar transom angle. We have a hinged stainless boarding ladder which pivots from the edge of the deck. Underway it is pulled up and folded, so it stows against the guard wires across the transom.

When fully unfolded, the bottom of the ladder is in the water so a swimmer or MOB can climb up onto the boat. On the inside of the bottom of the top part of the hinged ladder, and at right angles to it, is a welded D shaped rung. This has enough depth to rest against the transom when the ladder is down (it is padded to avoid damage to the gel coat). This means that the ladder remains vertical and solid when someone is climbing up.

We have a rope spliced to the bottom rung of the top half of the ladder which enables us to lift the ladder; we fold it before stowing against the guard wire.

It's a practical and very workable arrangement , if a bit difficult to describe, but I can get some photos done if this would be helpful

That sounds the sort of solution as I am not keen on having a fixed ladder though I may have to change my mind, I shall do a trial run as the slope of the pushpit may cause a problem ( the boat is ashore )

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
On my previous boat, a Centaur, I had designed and made one. It was hinged on the aft 'deck' and could be folded over the taffrail when not in use. Two short pieces of tube kept the ladder upright and neutralised the angle of the transom. To recover it there was a line tied to the second rung from the bottom. While sailing, this line was passed over the folded ladder and left dangling close to the waterline. If I went overboard unexpectedly the ladder could still be deployed through pulling (heavily) on this line. I do not have any close-ups of the arrangement but you might get the idea from this one:

cyanoPontoonportsiderodholder.jpg

GrahamD

Visit site
P1040694.jpg

I just found a photograph which shows our ladder in its partly down position. The whole thing folds up to rest against the guard wires of the pushpit when underway

Last edited:

ghostlymoron

Visit site
If you're single handed or your crew is not on deck, its essential to be able to deploy the ladder from the water. I've got a lanyard that can be reached by a MOB.

William_H

Visit site
If you're single handed or your crew is not on deck, its essential to be able to deploy the ladder from the water. I've got a lanyard that can be reached by a MOB.

+1 I think OP will be up for a fair bit of SS tube work. For a really good ladder you will need to make an opening in the stern rail. If you can make posts each side of the opening that rise even higher than the stern rail for hand holds in getting into the cockpit. (also makes a geat post for a VHF antenna.) The ladder then should fold up to close the gap in the stern rail. You need a latch or lanyard mechanism that can be released from the water level. The ladder can be in 2 folding sections. One of the commercial ladders may be modified to fit. Of course the side ladder may be easier but again he will need a gap in the safety wires. good luck olewill
I use my stern ladder a fair bit and it is this use that makes (demands) for a good design. I often swim to the boat rather than faf about with dinghy.