Steering Problem.

Odile

Visit site
My steering has suddenly gone slack for about a quarter turn. I believe some of the teeth in the steering binnacle have worn/broken. There is a stamp on the unit - Mark 11, Made in Sweden. It drives a Boden cable that is connected to my quadrant. It was probably built in the 1970's.

Any ideas where I could source a replacement? As luck (or not) would have it, I am currently cruising the east coast of Sweden!

Andy.

Attachments

• Steering gear 7.jpg
    Steering gear 7.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Steering gear 2.jpg
    Steering gear 2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 10

charles_reed

Visit site
My steering has suddenly gone slack for about a quarter turn. I believe some of the teeth in the steering binnacle have worn/broken. There is a stamp on the unit - Mark 11, Made in Sweden. It drives a Boden cable that is connected to my quadrant. It was probably built in the 1970's.

Any ideas where I could source a replacement? As luck (or not) would have it, I am currently cruising the east coast of Sweden!

Andy.

I doubt you'll find the model in production or indeed manufacturer still in business. Either replace the unit or have a replacement fabricated.

shortyuk

Visit site

Andy.
Hi Odile, I am aware that this thread is very old, however I own the same steering unit that you identified and I am trying to find out more about it. I need to replace the steering cable and I am looking for the name of the manufacturer and model type. Did you ever find those things out ?

scottie

Visit site
Hi Odile, I am aware that this thread is very old, however I own the same steering unit that you identified and I am trying to find out more about it. I need to replace the steering cable and I am looking for the name of the manufacturer and model type. Did you ever find those things out ?
Originally it would be either Morse D335 cable 8”stroke or Morse D320 which has 12” stroke if used with rudder
The engine end evolved over the years from grooved tube type to through tube industry standard to fit outboards tilt tube so you will need to determine where it got on the evolution journey
Try usual suspects ie Norris sillette or lancing marine

shortyuk

Visit site
Originally it would be either Morse D335 cable 8”stroke or Morse D320 which has 12” stroke if used with rudder
The engine end evolved over the years from grooved tube type to through tube industry standard to fit outboards tilt tube so you will need to determine where it got on the evolution journey
Try usual suspects ie Norris sillette or lancing marine
Hi Scottie,

Thanks very much for your help. I will enquire with them.