Steel boat question

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
What are those 'insulators' called...the ones we use for isolating, perhaps a stainless steel bolt, from the steel hull when bolting on a fitting or somesuch.

They look a bit like a top hat (and I've heard them called this).. with the hole for the bolt drilled through the middle.

Anyone know where I can get 'em?

Thanks Nick

raven

Visit site
What are those 'insulators' called...the ones we use for isolating, perhaps a stainless steel bolt, from the steel hull when bolting on a fitting or somesuch.

They look a bit like a top hat (and I've heard them called this).. with the hole for the bolt drilled through the middle.

Anyone know where I can get 'em?

Thanks Nick

Not sure about the name of the item you need but I would bet that these guys can help...

http://www.asap-supplies.com/ASAP/contact-us

I have a steel boat and have found them a very useful source of parts and equipment when others have been unable to supply.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We use paste that insulates stainless from steel. Can't remebember what it is called but every chandler stocks it. It works well. If the bolt is load bearing make sure of the structural integrity of what you use. On that note...

ean p mentions a plastic components company. I certainly wouldn't want to use plastic between steel and stainless.

ean_p

Visit site
We use paste that insulates stainless from steel. Can't remebember what it is called but every chandler stocks it. It works well. If the bolt is load bearing make sure of the structural integrity of what you use. On that note...

ean p mentions a plastic components company. I certainly wouldn't want to use plastic between steel and stainless.

So whys that then?........

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Was that Duralac per chance?

Yes that's it, thanks.

>So whys that then?........

To me it doesn't make sense. Duralac does't affect integrity but anything plastic is going to be weaker than steel. Or am I missing something? I am always happy to learn something new.

ean_p

Visit site
me thinks you might be focusing too much on corrosion reduction issues as in between aluminium and stainless rather than addressing the OP's question.......tho' even in the former the use of plastic sheet, components and film is very commonly used, and purposely made to be so used in industry where applicable

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Duralac

Hi thanks for all the replies on this. Duralac is certainly very good for isolating differing materials and I have always used it on masts when riveting etc and things like using ss bolts to fix toe rails and so on.

On steel hulls the whole matter becomes more of an obsession, and a proper isolater / insulator is needed between metals.

Thanks for the suggestions to try RS Componants and Componants Direct...both have the items at pretty good prices and with good web sites..

All best Nick