Steaming

Bergman

Visit site
I can't remember when I was last so angry.

Cats gone missing

Dogs cowering under table

Why?

I've just read that the widow of one of the Royal Marines killed in Iraq has been told by the MoD to pay back part of her late husbands salary.

Apparently something to do with delay in confirming the poor mans death.

I cannot recall anything so mean, unfeeling, insensitive, heartless, callous and downright disgraceful.

Someone MUST be fired for this and someone senior too.

Cruise missiles at $1M a throw and they take a few pounds off this poor woman.

Blair and Hoon ought to be lynched

And to make it worse they are throwing her and her small child out of her house too.

Have already chewed carpet and kicked furniture and I'm still furious.

Sorry its nothing to do with sailing but I had to sound off or I'd have burst.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
I just heard this story on the radio and agree with your sentiments. I have never heard anything so insensitive, but have to say that this is the type of ecperience I've come to expect from the MoD.

They should get on their hands and knees and beg forgiveness, apologise in public, and take immediate steps to ensure the poor womans welfare. When that's taken care of they should launch an independent inquiry to make sure it can't happen again, firing all the way to the top as an example to other would-be idiots in this crass ministry.

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
They've just said they are going to "look at the situation again" - Oh, so that's alright then!! I too think the situation is completely outrageous - I take some (very) small comfort from the fact that I was not one of those that voted this prick and his cabinet of collective 'Richard Heads' in to take this country to war (Syria next chaps??).

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
I'd guess the problem is that all the 'support' that would normally be around (CO etc) are all off in Iraq, actually doing the fighting, leaving the pencil pushers and penny counters to reak mayhem.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site
Did you see Hoon wriggling like mad when questioned about this<s>

Not very good PR

"sorry madam you husband as just been killed in the line,,,, can we have his last months pay back,, OH and by the way we want the house too, the streeet is that way-------->".

Anyone think as I do,,, that we should make these buggers the lead troops when attacking the enemy.

The only problem is, their sposes would be intitled to full index linked pension and back pay plus the house, free boarding schools for the kids, chaufeur driven Jag for life, 30 minute documentory on how brave he was, bronze bust somewhere in Westminster, wife would be invited to stand for his old seat.

All in the name of a grateful nation

YUK - I hate politicians of all colours.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrianJ

Visit site
Shit.. there are enough of us on this BB to get behind the poor woman.. how about composing an e.mail and telling us who to send it to and we can bombard them with our own bloody mail.
I dont know the case as I dont think the story has hit OZ, but I would be willing to lend any support.
BrianJ

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
As an employee I am not even a little surprised, it is the most miserable organisation to work for...The present govner is trying to push family friendly business rules through parliment and yet goverment employees still get the worst deal.

I cannot say much, but please if you can write to your MP, write to the grinning assassin and vent your anger, this is the coldest industry in the country.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>Homepage</A>

davehu

Visit site
I agree totally with you I could not believe it. Worse still, the MOD have the ability to prevent the problem and keep the bean counters happy. The Widow will be entittled to a pension and probably a lump sum, the MOD could esily have taken the over pay situation into account at that stage, including any housing costs they think they are due for.

I agree heads should roll and be seen to roll, If they dont then Hoon should go. Or as one paper put it Geoff Buffoon.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
what\'s new...

during the last war, british POWs had their pay reduced by the amount of prison 'money' they theoretically received from the germans.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidTocher

Visit site
Re: what\'s new...

I remember reading somewhere that during WWII merchant seamen, who survived torpedoing, were not paid from the moment their ship went down. They got nothing for the time spent in the lifeboat. I suppose they were lucky they weren't charged for their keep while waiting for rescue.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

It would be interesting to know whether the same rule applied to RN survivors. The treatment of and attitude to the merchant navy during the war was appalling: it seems some were handed white feathers by a public that only recognised the fighting forces as contributing to the war effort.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
They\'ve eased up a bit then

As a lad I lived on bases all over the place. You didn't get 6 months to get out if your dad got the chop it only took a few days. I had mates who just didn't come back to school on a monday.

As to the pay. That sort of thing happens all the time it's usually some computer cock up. If they only get one wrong I'll be amazed.

This country has always been lousey to it's servicemen. Read Kipling or talk to veterans of any conflict. My old mum heard that my dad might get another campaign medal, for Suez, he's been dead 11 years.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bergman

Visit site
Yes

Think I commented on this a few weeks ago, just before they lost the court case.

Absolutely right about the dicky ticker - blood pressure rose to new heights.

Dunno if you've ever had any contact with the Gurkhas, but they are great guys. Once did a training thing with them. About ten of us had to do this "assault course"
We got round in about 15 minutes excluding 2 stops for recovery. Those chaps gambolled round in less than half that and they were carrying packs that must have weighed as much as they did. Only annoying bit was the delight they showed in watching us making a balls of things. Wonderful people.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

You're dead right. My Dad was one. When it happened to him in the North Atlantic in 43 and he lost everything (aged 17) it was left to the equivalent of the WI in Boston to clothe and take care of him until the Britsh needed him to take a ship home! What changes? Now, during the last few weeks of his life, a registrar physician in his hospital told us they were 'babysitting' him. Imagine. Some baby! Sorry if this sounds a bit personal.
John

<hr width=100% size=1>