Steaming with a tricolour, right or wrong?

Pye_End

Visit site
My interpretation of this rule (if it is the one you are thinking about rule 23 (d) (i)) is that you can use the masthead all-round-white instead of a separate stern white, and mast forward-looking white (how do I describe this better!). Ie it does not say that you can use tricolour all round white with tricolour red and green. Never come across this being allowed but stand to be corrected if true.

This would make sense as you would not be able to differentiate the white against the red/green at any distance.

Stevie_T

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Check out the Colregs for sailing vessels under 12m. The use of a tricolour and a masthead anchor light in combination when under power is allowed. So the issues of potential non-compliance raised above only applies to vessels >12m where the traditional light configuration is mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you could point us to this Colreg, because I think you will find you are mistaken.
The colregs treat a sailing vessel <12m under power as a power driven vessel <12m there is no difference. A power driven vessel <12m may exhibit an all round white light and sidelights (not a tricolour). In fact there is no provision for using tricolour under power whatsoever. Nor should there be as if used with masthead all round the two would clash and be indistinguishable. And if used with steaming light they would be upside down.

bobgoode

Visit site
Simple answer if you read the actual regs fully. The all round white light when motoring should be a minimum of 1 metre above the port and starboard lights. Unless you have a very unusual tricolour it won't wash.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Gosh, all these rules can get very confusing!

The 1m height rule does not seem to apply to sail boats (at least it is not specifically mentioned) - rather it seems to be just for motorboats.

In my RYA G2/95 Coll regs booklet, in the 'Lights & Shapes Supplement', they say that the masthead light for a motor boat has to be at least 1m above the side lights for vessels under 12m LOA, and at least 2.5m. above the side lights for vessels 12-20m. LOA.

Stevie_T

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

The 1m height rule does not seem to apply to sail boats (at least it is not specifically mentioned) - rather it seems to be just for motorboats

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because a sailboat under power is a power driven vessel and has to conform to the same rules, therefore it does apply.

peterb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And one of the main causes of confusion is the 'masthead' light. According to the definition, a masthead light is a white light placed over the fore and aft centreline of the vessel showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 225 degrees, from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft thew beam on either side of the vessel. Notwithstanding the name, there is nothing in the definition that says that the light has to be at the masthead. In most sailing yachts the 'masthead' light is about halfway up the mast, and the light at the masthead is actually the tricolour of a combined anchor and tricolour lamp. With the rules not allowing the tricolour (at the masthead) to be used when under power, but requiring a 'masthead' light to be shown, there is obvious scope for confusion.

It's noticeable that most people talk about a 'steaming' light, rather than a 'masthead' light. That's probably a much better term, but I suspect that it could not be used in colregs, because so few ships still rely on steam.

kengill

Visit site
If the yachts so fitted do not comply with the regulations and are being sold with a CE mark is this not violation of European regulations and rendering one's company Liable to a fine?
Think of the liability that may exist if a vessel so fitted were the subject of a collision where the incorrect showing of lights could be shown to have contributed to the collision.

methinks the penalties that may be applied to an organisation are 10 % of its annual turnover - but there again i might be wrong.

I would not personally wish to purchase stock in a company that had that level of possible liability. You may take your own choice

Barr Avel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Which is why most sail vessels mount them on the pulpit. If you've a bow sprit whose mounted jib hides it, it's not legal tender . . . see quote from colregs . . . 'unbroken' . . . fit a light each side instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, what about the steaming light? That is obscured on most yachts when motorsailing under headsail. Is that OK?

Sailfree

Visit site
Its p*ssed me off that on the 3 new boats I have bought I have had to pay extra fo a masthead tricolour to be fitted including the last 43' boat. The required lights for Col Regs should be standard and included.

Diversion2

Visit site
I didn't think a tricolour was required to comply with colregs since all you would have to do once sailing is switch off the steaming light. The tricolour is just a means of reducing the battery consumption of the nav lights when sailing and battery power is rationed.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
[ QUOTE ]
what about the steaming light? That is obscured on most yachts when motorsailing under headsail. Is that OK

[/ QUOTE ] Not according to the rules. Also, it creates ambiguity for an approaching vessel, who may, from certain angles, assume you're just illuminating your sails to demonstrate you're under sail!

So, best, roll or drop jib. Or, worst, use masthead anchor light and obscure stern light.

Diversion2

Visit site
Thanks Duncan.

It's okay to use the all round masthead light instead of a steaming light and stern light.That's okay for boats less than 12m.