Staying afloat?

mikeinkwazi

Visit site
I am close to completing a purchase of a 28ft wooden Ketch. What do other members think about keeping her (mostly) afloat? Or, must I arrange to have her undecover for the winter? (we are in Scotland!)

RobinBirch

Visit site
I think its a matter of security. If your mooring is likely to get a battering from the weather over the winter with the consequent risks then winter ashore is sensible. I keep my Hillyard on a tidal river mooring all year round.

tillergirl

Visit site
I drop my mast every year, use it as a ridge pole and have an all over cover which I regard as essential protection even in our 'soft' southern winters. However, I usually spend the winter in a mud berth so she doesn't dry out and then come out every four years or so for a particularly good go at the bottom.

jamie N

Visit site
My Folkboat will be left in the water, up here in Inverness. She's berthed on an inside pontoon, and thus fairly well protected.

Eyore

Visit site
I kept my Peter Duck in last winter on a well protected marina berth, no problem. In many ways its better off in the water,less stresses than sitting on the hard with masts up anyway.

chinita

Visit site
I agree with everybody. I have kept my boat afloat for five years on the run.

However, circumstances have forced me to lift out of an extended period of time - it is breaking my heart!

So, when she goes back in, she stays in. Another huge bonus is that if you are reasonably close you can enjoy beautiful winter sailing; even spending New Years Eve on your mooring - which is fab.

Woodlouse

Visit site
I agree with all of the others. If possible keep the boat in as much as possible. This is the first year possibly ever that my boat will have spent the best part of a year out of the water and it's not done any good at all, in fact it's doubled the amount of work necessary unfortunately. Can't wait to see her back in the water where she belongs.

Thats not to say though that she doesn't come out for a short period every year for a refit. I'd struggle to come to terms with knowing that I've started the season without a pristine coat of paint on the bottom.

PhillM

Visit site
I agree with all of the others. If possible keep the boat in as much as possible. This is the first year possibly ever that my boat will have spent the best part of a year out of the water and it's not done any good at all, in fact it's doubled the amount of work necessary unfortunately. Can't wait to see her back in the water where she belongs.

Thats not to say though that she doesn't come out for a short period every year for a refit. I'd struggle to come to terms with knowing that I've started the season without a pristine coat of paint on the bottom.

+1
We had three years of out in September and back in April / May. Last year we were out for 7 days at Easter for a scrub and repraint. Tbh I could have done with an extra weekend so I think we will come out for 10 days around Easter next year.

mikeinkwazi

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses, what you have said makes sense and is how things are done down in Falmouth, where I spent 16 years and most of my mates had wooden boats.
I asked the question as we are in Argyll and the previous owner of the boat always put her undercover from Oct till April or May. I expect we shall stay afloat in a well protected local marina and haul-out to A/F in the Spring. (like the idea of a New Year sail)

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
I keep mine in at Largs (though its a plastic boat!) it seems to breath better and suffer less from damp and I get to use it on nice which is why we have a boat after all.

There are a few twisters etc in our place that I don't recall seeing out.

Shouldn't be a problem in a sheltered harbour or marina and winter rates are little different to storage ashore. Wouldn't trust a mooring unless its very very sheltered.