Starlink vs BroadbandGo

bpbpbp

Visit site
What's the best internet solution for full time remote work (up to 3hrs video calls daily) - Starlink or multi-network cellular (eg Broadband Go) or another?
This is mainly UK anchorages, moorings in winter. Eventually would like to try further afield, France initially.

My concerns with Starlink are the power draw from all the kit.
I'm ok with Starlink costs if reliable - there is Starlink in a local coworking place but everyone has one or two dropouts a day at least, although there are multiple people using it at once.

Cellular seems reasonably priced but I don't know how to verify coverage in anchorages.

ylop

Visit site
"UK anchorages, mooring in winter" is quite broad - I've been in Scottish anchorages where between 3 mobile providers (vodafore, EE, Three) on the boat we were lucky if one of us had a signal at all for calls/texts never mind data. A better antenna, mounted higher up would probably help, but I'd not expect to get good enough signal for a video call.

Trident

Visit site
I've had Starlink for 3 years now and its been very reliable - it does drop out occasionally but for fractions of a second normally - so long as you mount it somewhere unobstructed

Never seen less than 100 mbps but the latency can be a slight issue with FaceTime but not with Teams etc
Power is reasonable (but I have lots on a cat with LifePo4 and 2.1kw solar) - it can be set to sleep mode over night to save power

Hjem

Visit site
We sailed around the UK last summer with unlimited cellular data and it was fine most of the time, but obviously the more remote you go, the worse it is and there were quite a few occasions where we had no connection. That was fine for us, but not if you're working.

This season we're cruising down to the Med and have starlink. Already in France we've had spots where the mobile (3, pay as you go) has no reception. The starlink has worked every single time, no questions asked and has been very fast. I've had a few consulting calls via web and had no dropouts or interruptions. Honestly if you drop out for the odd second on a three hour call... What would you really miss...?!

ylop

Visit site
Honestly if you drop out for the odd second on a three hour call... What would you really miss...?!
I suspect that is more about perception than what is missed. We have a couple of employees who for some family reason need to be somewhere but agree to work from the AirBnB / Mother-in-law's spare room etc. A dropped connection etc - in these settings raises "knowing" glances from colleagues who rightly or wrongly perceive these people as sneaking a bit of extra holiday. If you are Working Afloat your managers, clients etc will all have a niggle that they are paying for you to play!

Hjem

Visit site
Unless someone in a position of authority raises an actual issue, it's a bit of inference what people may or not think though surely? And whether it matters?

I totally get what you're saying, I guess workplace culture can come into it as well. The last place I worked was totally fine with remote work!

simonck

Visit site
If you're working and someone else is paying for it, Starlink is probably the way to go however if 250 a month is a bit steep a WIFI adapter with a data sim is way cheaper. I'm presently using a TP link adapter in Turkey with a 200gb per month for 3 month contract, total cost for 3 months about £50 with Turk Telekom. Speeds great and Whatsapp video calls are perfect, haven't not got a signal but that might come for the more remote anchorages.

Gustywinds

Visit site
Just noticed this thread. I was looking at getting Starlink but speaking to people here in the Netherlands they say coverage with 5G is very good throughout Netherlands, Belgium and the areas from Dunkirk to Paris we’ll be crossing. So I’ve got a 5G router with a remote antenna and SIM with 100GB/month. In the areas of France I’ve previously been in there were often free or paid Wi-Fi at marinas. The problem seems to be stretch Canal du Loing – Canal de Briare – Loire Lateral – Canal du Centre so I’m thinking of getting it for there. Am I right in saying the ‘Roam’ option gives you connectivity all over Europe but only when you are stationary? This seems quite reasonably priced whereas the ‘Ship’ option works while moving but is more than 3x the price.
Am I also correct in saying you can suspend service if, for instance, the boat is laid up for winter.
If these are right, I’ll get at Paris and suspend wherever I break in the med area next year.