Starlink Power

lustyd

Visit site
I'm with you on the trust, but it would be crazy to spend so much on such a worse service on the assumption Starlink will get more expensive - it's been consistently getting cheaper since launch from what I can see. Agree it's not designed for the environment, but modern yachts aren't exactly rugged extreme locations.

st599

Visit site
My postcode is Reading, we have 2 FTTH options on my street. Did you try your postcode on the home non roam version?
Yep, using the postcode checker on the Rural offer page just takes you to a page offering you the unit for £300.

lustyd

Visit site
Yep, using the postcode checker on the Rural offer page just takes you to a page offering you the unit for £300.
There was a part of me that expected any post code to work after mine went through! £300 isn't bad though, initial tests are giving me 150Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

Zing

Visit site
Hi all, I just ordered a Starlink on the £99 deal - apparently Reading is "rural UK"!

Just curious, does anyone have one installed on board with a 12-48V step up? Just looking for any experience or tips over and above the various posts around the web on the topic which aren't boat specific.

Any real world power usage figures? I'm not planning to use their router on board due to the 240v requirement
It’s quite a steal at that price, but I think the £99 deal it is only for a fixed location. You need the roam dish to move with it and that costs £300. Still a good deal.

They assign the dish for use in the specific continent where it was registered I wonder if it is possible to change continents with the device?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It’s quite a steal at that price, but I think the £99 deal it is only for a fixed location. You need the roam dish to move with it and that costs £300. Still a good deal.

They assign the dish for use in the specific continent where it was registered I wonder if it is possible to change continents with the device?
I believe it is.

lustyd

Visit site

No I can change my plan to roam easily in the app. The other dish is to use while actively moving over 10mph but the normal roam plan allows using it in different locations based on plan. Continent can be changed too from what I’ve read

Trident

Visit site
You need to look at the Iridium Go Exec as opposed to the original Iridium GO.
Well at £1500 for the Exec I could have the SL and 16 months of data usage and the Exec has 88kpbs download speeds - so around 200 times slower than SL and 15 times the cost for the hardware and there cheapest plan is $105 a month for 25MB as opposed to $85 a month for unlimited with SL. I'm sure the Iridium has its place but its not even in the same league as Starlink now

Trident

Visit site
No I can change my plan to roam easily in the app. The other dish is to use while actively moving over 10mph but the normal roam plan allows using it in different locations based on plan. Continent can be changed too from what I’ve read
As of today in Europe you can change continents as I said above - you just have to change plan and payment currency when you are there. In the US now you have to choose in advance if you want the global roam plan or the one continent plan - though you can upgrade if you decide after time to move continents.