Starboard engine cant decide what RPM it should stay at. Volvo Penta D6-370

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemoon78

Visit site
I can cruise in 35 knots (2800 rpm) for hours straight without any problems and then suddenly starboard engine will go up and down in rpm. I goes from 2800 to 1200 and somtimes right up again to 2800. If i dont thouch the tbrottle it will keep doing the jumps in rpm. Its like the SB engine suddenly cant decide what RPM it should stay at.
Most of the time it fixes itself if just touch the throttle a little (take both engines up to 2900 rpm, or down to 2700). but sometimes I have to take both levers all the way down and then back up again to "fix" the problem. Then it can go hours before it happens again.

Alle filters have been changed. Filters are clean. propeller are new,

It seems like the engine looses syncronisation of the lever or that the EVC doesnt know possition the SB lever is in.

I have tried to calibrate the throttle without any luck

Any ideas ?

2 x D6-370 from 2008 - 600 hours - (Single diesel tank)

Sorry for my bad English

bluemoon78

Visit site
Thanks for trying to help Portofino. I was thinkin about that, but would a slipping bush "fix" itself by wiggling the throttle just a little bit ?

SC35

Visit site
Thanks for trying to help Portofino. I was thinkin about that, but would a slipping bush "fix" itself by wiggling the throttle just a little bit ?

No, it wouldn't.
I've had slipping prop bushes, and the symptoms are that one engine revs higher than the other when you try to get on the plane.

Sorry, I have no idea what your problem might actually be.

Last edited:

julians

Visit site
faulty throttle potentiomer in the throttle lever?

Just guessing really.... but its cheap and relatively simple to fit a new throttle potentiometer. Other option is to get a volvo penta technician with the laptop to diagnose the problem properly.

sammyadam

Visit site
I can cruise in 35 knots (2800 rpm) for hours straight without any problems and then suddenly starboard engine will go up and down in rpm. I goes from 2800 to 1200 and somtimes right up again to 2800. If i dont thouch the tbrottle it will keep doing the jumps in rpm. Its like the SB engine suddenly cant decide what RPM it should stay at.
Most of the time it fixes itself if just touch the throttle a little (take both engines up to 2900 rpm, or down to 2700). but sometimes I have to take both levers all the way down and then back up again to "fix" the problem. Then it can go hours before it happens again.

Alle filters have been changed. Filters are clean. propeller are new,

It seems like the engine looses syncronisation of the lever or that the EVC doesnt know possition the SB lever is in.

I have tried to calibrate the throttle without any luck

Any ideas ?

2 x D6-370 from 2008 - 600 hours - (Single diesel tank)

Sorry for my bad English
I had the same issue with my Starboard engine last year, I have the same engines and year with the electronic shifters. Do you also find that when you put your Starboard shifter into position one (idle forward) that the shift hesitates and you need to give it a little push forward for it to engage.

bluemoon78

Visit site
Did you find a solution for the problem?

I dont have any problems with shift

I had the same issue with my Starboard engine last year, I have the same engines and year with the electronic shifters. Do you also find that when you put your Starboard shifter into position one (idle forward) that the shift hesitates and you need to give it a little push forward for it to engage.

Corona Mia

Visit site
Isn’t there some sort mechanism (or software) which synchronises revs between the two engines?
Could it be an issue with that?

A_8

Visit site
Sounds like a faulty throttle potentiometer in the throttle lever but I have no experience.
Is it possible to swap the controls so that the starboard control operates the port engine ? If so you can confirm if its the control as the problem moves to the other engine.

bluemoon78

Visit site
Sounds like a faulty throttle potentiometer in the throttle lever but I have no experience.
Is it possible to swap the controls so that the starboard control operates the port engine ? If so you can confirm if its the control as the problem moves to the other engine.

I just order new potentiometer for the sb lever and a new MAP sensor for the sb engine. I hope its one of the two.

I have changed propellers, both fuel filters, and air filters, so potientometer and map sensor is they next on the list.
Getting a Volvo Penta tech with a laptop is unfortantly not possible where i live. Well, its possible but it would cost more then the boat ;)

bluemoon78

Visit site
What do you guys/girls think about this explanation?

Faulty neutral "switch" on the gear actuator. And therefore the actuator send neutral/no-neutral signals to EVC that the gear is in neutral (and limiting the RPM to 1500 rpm) causing the erratic RPM.

Am I WAY OFF ?

A_8

Visit site
What do you guys/girls think about this explanation?

Faulty neutral "switch" on the gear actuator. And therefore the actuator send neutral/no-neutral signals to EVC that the gear is in neutral (and limiting the RPM to 1500 rpm) causing the erratic RPM.

Am I WAY OFF ?
Again I have no experience of the electronics of this particular engine but I would assume this would throw a code and put the engine in limp mode until you restart and it happens again.

Andyroonot

Visit site
If you want to prove the throttle as the issue (or prove it is OK!) before changing anything then undo it from underneath, turn it 180 degrees, swap the two HCU connections and then recalibrate. If the problem switches to the other side then you’ve found your fault

Status
Not open for further replies.