standard vhf VS DSC VHF.

Johnboy2004

Visit site
hello

i am in the market for a vhf,, i was considering buying a dsc set, but have not got the dsc license / cert yet or an msni number.

if i buy a dsc set and dont have an msni number will the dsc functionality work?
or is it a waste of money?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tony_brighton

Visit site
You can get an MMSI when you apply for the license (which you will have to do anyway). The MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Indicator) is programmed into the radio - this is not something to get wrong as the radio will possibly have to be sent back to the manufacturer to get it reprogrammed - so I'd suggest applying for the license (tick the box for an MMSI) and get the dealer to programme it into the radio when you buy it.

The DSC features will not stop working without an MMSI - for example if you are hooked up to a GPS it will send a MAYDAY position but with no MMSI the Coastguard will have no idea who is in distress. Equally if you want to use the calling features of DSC no-one will be able to call you - its kind of like having a telephone without a phone number!

DSC is the way to go - suggest you jump through the licensing and qualification hoops - its not a waste of money.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Solitaire

Visit site
Hi - all VHF sets sold now must be DSC compatible. You can get sets which require an additional DSC controller to go with them - ICOM do such a piece of kit. Remember though that you will have to fork out around £200 in addition to the base unit to buy DSC controller. The prices of fully integrated sets have come down dramatically and there has been a lot written on this and on the other forums about the merits etc of each - do a search.
You say you have not done the DSC upgrade but can I assume you have an old VHF operators certificate? If so then you can use DSC set in the "normal" way - its just that you won't be issued an MMSI number. If you do not have an SRC at all then it is a legal requiremnt for you to have one to operate and marine VHF radio (unless under the supervision of the holder of an SRC) - you will also need a ships licneces as well.

Fixed VHF sets require a GPS to be attached to them if you want to use the fully DSC functionality, but you can enter a LAT & LONG manually but this will only stay in the memory for around 4 hours! After that you must re-enter a new position.

<hr width=100% size=1>Boating is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.powerboattraininguk.co.uk>Serious Fun</A>

tome

www.google.co.uk
You don't need any certificate except for a ships radio licence to get an MMSI, and this will happen automatically if you apply for an amendment to the SRL to DSC.

DSC functionality was not enabled on my (Simrad) VHF set until I'd programmed in the MMSI.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Juggler7823

Visit site
I see from your profle that your location is Dublin. I assume that you and/or your boat is Irish. If so, you should comply with the Irish radio regulations for licences and MNSI numbers.

<hr width=100% size=1>LOM

sparkie

Visit site
Johnboy-

Look at the the thread I started on XM DSC/VHF- page 5 at the moment. Lots of responses.

Safe sailing

Sparkie

<hr width=100% size=1>