Stainless steel fixed yacht window frames - source?

croz

Visit site
Anyone know of a quality and reliable source who can make a copy of my fixed aluminium windows in Stainless steel. Im refitting a She36 and the originals have taken a hammering over the years and I would like to bring them upto date plus I like things that shine!

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Anyone know of a quality and reliable source who can make a copy of my fixed aluminium windows in Stainless steel. Im refitting a She36 and the originals have taken a hammering over the years and I would like to bring them upto date plus I like things that shine!

I've had two sets of windows refurbished, and well, by C&J International Windows.

D

Deleted member 36384

Hadlow Marine Refurbished My Worn Out Aluminium Frames

Hadlow marine Services refurbished my aluminium framed windows. I removed the windows and they were in a very poor condition. The frames are the split type with small fish plates and even smaller aluminium screws to hold the two half's together. All were corroded and indeed there was some holes in the frame as well.

The glass in these frames is considerably undersized compared to the frame space. A combination of double sided tape, on one side, an O Ring on the other side originally held the window tightly to the frame. This system had since deteriorated and was no longer water tight.

Hadlow Marine fully cleaned the frames, fitted new fish plates and screws. The window pane is now mounted with sealant on both sides. The holes in the aluminium are sealed from the inside with something other than sealant. The mounting face of the frame was lined with a special sealing tape that is about 3 mm thick. When the window frame was clamped to the hull the tape adjusts to the profile and compresses out by about 1 mm depending on the tension in mounting bolts. The mounting of the window was very easy.

I was impressed with the level of refurbishment and the windows have been refitted and appear to be fully water tight.

I would certainly photograph your windows and send a copy to Hadlow Marine. The prices per window are on his web site.

One thing to consider is that the aluminium frame bends around any slight curvature in the hull / coaming. Stainless might be more difficult to do this with. This was important in my windows as they are mounted with screws into the GRP and not through bolted. One thing to consider is that I needed to purchase 3 mm longer mounting screws because of the flange tape thickness. I got these from http://www.a2a4.co.uk/

hadlowmarine@mail.com
http://hadlo-43547-001.dsvr.co.uk/

croz

Visit site
Guys thanks for the feedback some excellent suggestions which Ill follow up should the Stainless steel option be a none starter

Good point on the through bolting but I can easily through bolt and as Im refitting will do as it offer a little more security and less chance of recrazing the grp.

I thought about the curvature issue and to be honest its the main thing thats holding me back a little as I want to add another window aft of the existing two and there is a definite curve to the coach roof superstructure here. I guess I still need to find someone who can quote me in SS so I can balance the issues and cost.

RobinBirch

Visit site
Don't worry too much about the curvature that you need to form to - the trick is to offer the stainless frame to the cabin side and see what the gaps are that you need to close and then bend it to suit. Use something like an oil drum as a former so you get smooth bends.

I replaced timber surrounds using this method a couple of years back - no leaks since!

croz

Visit site
Some great advice guys many thanks and Ill link on these if I cant solve this with SS windows - I guess the pursuit of the holy grail of SS windows continues to be my quest.

Alejandro

Visit site
Stainless steel windows are very best windows and these windows are very beautiful and also strong in looking and i think you should be take advice from any experience holder person who have a great knowledge about this field he will be the best for you.