Stainless steel fabricator in Dorset - recommendations?

Dipper

Visit site
I've discovered a fracture in my stainless steel tiller fitting. I'm not sure if it can be repaired or whether a new one would be a better option as the original needs to be beefed up a bit (although it has lasted 30 years). Can anyone recommend a good stainless fabricator in the Weymouth/Dorset area?

I can't sail the boat until it has been repaired. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Many thanks in advance.

Cliveshep

Visit site
Not in Dorset, but Bedfordshire, a brilliant outfit called Barwell Spares and Service. They have made so much polished bespoke stainless stuff for my boat, pulpit, davits, stanchions etc. Contact director Darren Marsh, tell him the "old git" sent you, i.e. Clive Sheppard, and post it off to him. Details are:

3, Lyon Close, Kempston, Bedford, MK42 7SB
Tel. 01234 852915 Fax. 01234 840124

You do sometimes have to chase for deliveries but they are very good.

Dipper

Visit site
Thanks to both of you for the information. Any further recommendations welcome!

I've removed the tiller fitting and think it can be repaired with some welding to see me through the season but I will need a fabricator over the winter to make a new one or strengthen the old one.

KREW2

Visit site
Yes! there is one at the Portland end of the causeway. I don't know what there called PM me with you phone no. and I will tell you where they are.

chewi

Visit site
Midas on the Nuffield Industrial estate in Poole.
he also does rigging and canvas work.
He made my tiller fitting, excellent work.

Dipper

Visit site
Excellent service from Midas Manufacturing, Poole

Thanks for all the suggestions. In the end I chose Midas Manufacturing Ltd, Slader Business Park, Witney Road, Poole since Chewi had already had a tiller fitting made there.

I called in today and once he found out that I had driven 25 miles to get there he repaired the fitting whilst I trotted off to look round B&Q for half an hour. Not only that, the repair was also polished and looked like new. Excellent service.

As Chewi indicated, he also makes stainless fittings, sprayhoods, cushion covers and rigging.