ST80 Fail safe??

bigmart

Visit site
It's funny you should mention that Brendan , but I've noticed that, Stinkies very rarely look where their going, let alone back.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

DeeGee

Visit site
Tis the same with ST50, probably any Raymarine (maybe any xxx?).

I would take a little gentle issue with you, though. My ST50 failed from time to time due to an intermittently loose connection it took some time to find. But the principle of these devices, and self-steering, is that the boat should be balanced properly, so that excessive weather helm shouldn't be there.

When mine failed, which it did rather too often at that time, the boat would start to slide off course slowly, rather than broach, which it seems yours did, or do I read that wrong? I say that because your two paras seem contradictory - the autopilot continues in AUTO with no GPS, which should keep the boat on the course it was holding before it lost GPS (after all, it still has the fluxgate compass?) and yet the boat rounded up? In mine, the autopilot failed, and no longer steered the boat, if it had been particularly unbalanced, a puff would have caused the boat to round up - which is what you describe.

<hr width=100% size=1>Black Sugar - the sweetest of all