St Malo alternatives ?

tom52

Visit site
Chaps/chapesses,
Doing some preliminary passage planning for the summer cruise and considering my options.
I intend to spend some time at St Malo. I am assuming the Vauban will be full so intend to use the Bas Sablons,but may not be able to time my arrival to cross sill but dont want to delay getting my head down waiting outside on a bouy.
Anyone know what is the nearest marina to St Malo that is accesible at all states of the tide, so arrival time is not critical, but might be worth spending a night or two before hopping on to St Malo ?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bav34

Visit site
Mon Dieu Monsieur Matelot !!!!! To meet ALL your criteria it's Cherbourg or St Quay Portrieux /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A

Anonymous

I'd go for St Quay and then down to Binic - unmissable.

tom52

Visit site
Its a bu%%er this planning lark.
Perhaps my only option is to swing on a waiting bouy. Its just that I cannot really relax and kip whilst waiting to berth.
I was hoping to find somewhere a short hop from St Malo not tide constrained to get my head down right away. Explore the next day. Then depart for St Malo to arrive with water over the sill.

Bav34

Visit site
David, so much depends on where you're coming from, the tidal direction and what time you think you'll arrive.

We arrived late one night at St Malo and simply picked up a buoy on the Dinard side. Easy peasy. If you are a bit more adventurous and have good viz. don't discount Isle Chausey.

Looking at it on a chart you'd run (sail??) a mile but it really is an easy approach from the south with substantial (Granville Yacht Club) moorings laid, and an awesome place to unwind if you have just motored many boring miles.

Bav34

Visit site
Rich, tell ME more (sorry to hijack the post /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif ). Where in Jersey is available at all states of the tides? Holding pontoon ???? We're wibbling round France for 5 months this year so any local knowledge welcome.

discovery2

Visit site
There is also a holding pontoon in the main harbour just outside the marina entrance near the lifeboat.
La Collette also has 24 hour access.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Other (tidal) hops which may work (cos StMalo is an all tide arrival) are Dielette and Granville. For non tidal departures try the more interesting stops at the Ecrehous or Ile Chausey. There's also a rather exposed anchoring basin off Rotheneuf, again, if you don't mind a bit of current.

Hey, come on. If you're cruising this area you're stuck with tide plans - they'll dominate your life! A bit more info on my website. If you're in St Malo, seek out 'Bourgnafesse' for an evening meal. If the same guy is running it as 1999 (not a certainty) it's a gas. If he's not, tell me and he'll come off the site!

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
[ QUOTE ]
Why assume that its full?

We've always got in in the height of summer.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree. I don't ever remember not being able to get inot Basin Vauban. We met some people who said they preferred the marina and tried it a couple of years ago. We disagreed. The Vauban is fabulous and the old town is just across the road.

brownsox

Visit site
Bas Sablons is good, when you do get in. St Servan is a lovely little place to walk round and good restaurants, old part has Tour Solidor and pretty harbour, newer part has laundrette and sensible priced small shops. St Malo itself tho great to visit is chokka with tourists and priced accordingly. Vauban very central but urban, and much rafting up. Sablons is finger pontoons and good facilities.