St Kilda with swell from 270?

jlavery

Visit site
Wind is looking promising for getting out to St Kilda later this week.

I have a doubt about swell though. Windy is forecasting 1.7m from 260-270. Is Village Bay OK in this, or does it refract/curl in?

Minerva

Visit site
I would have thought that swell direction almost ideal really.

Windy seems to think you'd be upwind in 20-30kts by Thurs / Fri. I guess you're hoping to use those winds for your homeward leg?

jlavery

Visit site
Yes, swell direction looks good, but interested in any 1st hand experience.

Planning to cross on Friday from Eriskay (because of where we currently are). ECMWF and Met Office models give SW winds mid to top of a F5, moderating, so a reach from there.

But that's still a few days away, so will be monitoring as forecast firms up.

Minerva

Visit site
When we went it was a swell from around the direction you should face, but combined with very light winds. Made it a horrible motor out but OK once in the harbour. Still worth it though!

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
If it’s not fine you turn round and come back. You need to be prepared to do that.
From that direction it be fine. I have been 3 times, once the swell was too much and we anchored in the bay on the North side. That required a constant anchor watch. Folks went ashore.

NormanS

Visit site
When we went it was a swell from around the direction you should face, but combined with very light winds. Made it a horrible motor out but OK once in the harbour. Still worth it though!
Just to avoid any confusion, it's not a "harbour". It's not even a good anchorage. It is a remarkable group of islands though.

srm

Visit site
Village bay will be OK for anchoring. On one trip I did have a bit of excitement recovering my crew from the pier steps with the dinghy when a bit of swell set in. A metre or so of lift and strong surge at the steps. No problem where we were anchored though. That was last century, but pier configuration on Google Earth looks the same.
Its worth the effort, enjoy the trip.

jlavery

Visit site
Thanks all - if it's not right, we'll turn round and head back. Not a problem if we're prepared to do that.

Reactions: srm

jlavery

Visit site
I can now answer my own question.

With a swell of 1.5 to 2m from the West, village bay is fine.

We had a fast beam reach from the Sound Of Barra in 12-20kts, with an occasionally messy sea. Arrived 1530 and rolled a lot on the approach, but when we got right in it was just a slight send.

Only boat there 1st night - a great day ashore yesterday.

Now on a beam reach in 13-20kts,heading for the Sound Of Harris.

So lucky to have the opportunity to visit.

Minerva

Visit site
I can now answer my own question.

With a swell of 1.5 to 2m from the West, village bay is fine.

We had a fast beam reach from the Sound Of Barra in 12-20kts, with an occasionally messy sea. Arrived 1530 and rolled a lot on the approach, but when we got right in it was just a slight send.

Only boat there 1st night - a great day ashore yesterday.

Now on a beam reach in 13-20kts,heading for the Sound Of Harris.

So lucky to have the opportunity to visit.
Well done!

Sea Change

Visit site
Arguably, it's worth visiting St Kilda even if you can't get ashore. A trip round the stacs is mind blowing. Would make for a long couple of days though, if you couldn't stop for the night.

srm

Visit site
Arguably, it's worth visiting St Kilda even if you can't get ashore. A trip round the stacs is mind blowing. Would make for a long couple of days though, if you couldn't stop for the night.
Definitely worth going around the west side and stacks. We put the dinghy in the water with a couple of guys and everyone's cameras for a photo shoot. They frequently disappeared behind the swells but we always knew exactly where they were. There was a tower of circling gannets directly above them the whole time.

jlavery

Visit site
Couldn't resist posting this, as it gives a good feel for the atmosphere of Village Bay. We were alone the first night. :)

View from just above the trig point, Arpeggio on the right, three day trip boats on moorings, Elizabeth G (one of the Hebrides Cruises boats) arriving at top left.

(The trip from Dunstaffnage via Eriskay and back to Mallaig via the Inner Sound took 6 days, total of 287 miles - longest day 73 miles from Loch Finsbay to Isleornsay).

IMG_4322.JPG