ST 4000+ and Vetus pump/ram

danielefua

Visit site
Hi folks,
Does anyone know if the gubbins from a Raymarine ST 4000+ work with my existing Vetus hydraulic pump and ram?

Cheers,

C.

In principle yes but you should state better the specs of your hydraulic system and the tonnage of your boat.
The Ray ST4000+ may be able to provide the power (10W at 25% duty cycle) to feed directly a reversing hydraulic pump; if your system is different (with solenoid valves or with a more powerful reversing pump, for example) it can still be done but a simple interface is needed.

In case I was not clear I repeat: the answer is YES and in all cases it is not complicate.
...actually my reply was based on a vague guess: "gubbins"... what? :confused:
Did I interpret it correctly? :)

Daniel

Sy-Revolution

Visit site
Hi danielefua,
Thanks for your reply. By 'gubbins' I meant the control unit & fluxgate compass. My thoughts would be that the power output for the pump would not be great enough. However as you mention I guess that could be sorted out with some relays? How would one wire them?

My pump, a Vetus EHPC 12v draws a nominal 9A, max of 15A. Our Boat is 35ft, 7.500kg, more, with all our gear etc, and tiller steered. The ram currently attaches to a 8" (or so) tang bolted to the rudder shaft.

I need a new control system because the old one is failing, but I'm not in the market for a new £1500 setup . Was hoping a 4000+ would do the job.

Cheers,

C.

Last edited:

danielefua

Visit site
Hi danielefua,
Thanks for your reply. By 'gubbins' I meant the control unit & fluxgate compass. My thoughts would be that the power output for the pump would not be great enough. However as you mention I guess that could be sorted out with some relays? How would one wire them?

My pump, a Vetus EHPC 12v draws a nominal 9A, max of 15A. Our Boat is 35ft, 7.500kg, more will all our gear etc, and tiller steered. The ram currently attaches to a 6 in or so, tang bolted to the rudder shaft.

I need a new control system because the old one is failing, but I'm not in the market for even a new £1500 setup . Was hoping a 4000+ would do the job.

Cheers,

C.

This is the first circuit I would try. Although the Raymarine ST4000+ literature is not very generous of particulars, I expect the output to cycle between alternating full voltage across the two terminals. That is, when the command is STB one of terminal is positive and the other is grounded and vice-versa. If the standby condition is "both terminals grounded" as I expect, the circuit I enclose will leave both relays deactivated in standby and activate one relay at a time when helm is required.
Actually the standby condition could also be "both terminals positive" (unlikely but possible). In this case the only thing to change would be the polarity of the voltage to the fixed end of the relay coils.

The relays contacts should be able to sustain the amps of the pump.

Daniel

Pagetslady

Visit site
This is the first circuit I would try. Although the Raymarine ST4000+ literature is not very generous of particulars, I expect the output to cycle between alternating full voltage across the two terminals. That is, when the command is STB one of terminal is positive and the other is grounded and vice-versa. If the standby condition is "both terminals grounded" as I expect, the circuit I enclose will leave both relays deactivated in standby and activate one relay at a time when helm is required.
Actually the standby condition could also be "both terminals positive" (unlikely but possible). In this case the only thing to change would be the polarity of the voltage to the fixed end of the relay coils.

The relays contacts should be able to sustain the amps of the pump.

Daniel
Is there a facility to put the pump and ram into standby ?

danielefua

Visit site
Is there a facility to put the pump and ram into standby ?

Not in the simple circuit I drew. The standby condition is usually taken care by opening a by-pass valve. My circuit just does not power the pump whenever no helm is needed.
The by-pass valve should be commanded by the same switch that powers the ST4000.

Daniel

danielefua

Visit site
We have a manual bypass valve.

C.

As far as I understand, the manual by-pass valve you mention should be there for safety reasons. If the hydraulic system fails, the safety by-pass valve activation prevents the blocking of the helm and let you steer manually.
If the pump is still but part of the hydraulic circuit it opposes a strong resistance to any movement of the ram. For this reason there should be another system of valves that automatically by-pass the pump when the latter is not controlled by the autopilot.

Daniel

Cristian.f

Visit site
Hi sy-revolution,
I have found your question here, while looking for the same information you were asking for. I have bought an old catamaran and it has 2 autopilot systems. One is hydraulic with fetus pump and the other is raymarine st4000 plus. The computer of the hydraulic one is not working. The raymarine is working over the hydraulic circuit, using the wheel. My idea is to use the computer of the raymarine with the vetus pump. Have you find some usefull information or experience using both together?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,

Cristian