Squadron 59 again...

upcountry2

Visit site
I posted some time ago regarding a Squadron 56/59 for auction on EBay which generated a bit of interest on here, it went for £95000 if I remembe correctly, your opinions were mixed, but generally most thought it was a bargain at that price, even with the £20000 or so needed to get it up to scratch. I did'nt bid on it in the end, but have sort of regretted it since.

I am still looking for one of these at sub £100000, impossible I hear you say, but prices seem to be dropping like a stone for big Mobo's such as these, I was certain I would find one eventually, just a question of time.

So, one has just been listed on EBay again item no 271828822580 sorry still can't do a link. @£99999 previously listed at £169000
This one looks to be in considerably better Nick than the other one, again I am sorely tempted, boat is in Spain, not ideal for me but not a deal breaker.

I know very little about big Mobo's, I am a rag and stick man, but fancy a change, I will live aboard, and don't intend to venture too far, so fuel costs should be manageable.

I would be interested once again to get your thoughts on this particular boat, I still need convincing this is a good idea.
Look forward to your comments...

KevB

Visit site
I have an apartment near where that boat is kept but don't recall seeing it so can't comment on it's outside condition. There is a forum member on here called Clive who lives out there and used to own a sea school, his forum user name escapes me at the moment but someone will remember. May be worth sending him a PM as he may know details of the boat.

kashurst

Visit site
Mobos are not so very different than sailing boats apart from the obvious big stick thing and table cloths hanging off it. Navigation kit is all the same, domestic plumbing heating is the same, lots more usable space on a mobo. A boat that size will trundle along quite happily at 9 - 10 knots all day long doing @ 1.8mpg (my estimate) - pretty fast by sailing standards and going in the right direction all the time. Being nearl 60" and 30 tons it will run well in even quite lumpy seas. But as you say if you don't intend going far just pick the weather window. The main thing on this particular boat to get seriously checked (as for any mobo) is the engines and gearboxes. Being a Fairline the hull and construction will almost certainly be in good order. Being a more mature boat you will probably need to change the seals etc on the various domestic pumps - loos, macerator etc but easy and cheap.

TSB240

Visit site
Momentus is still for sale in Port Dinorwic.
Price has been reduced.
She has not had much use in the last year!