Sprayhood design

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
The only sprayhood I have owned was a simple 'one shallow PVC pane' design. It was no trouble for 12 years in my ownership.

I am about to order another for a different boat. Again a very shallow [low ] structure. I have seen many with a central 'frame' giving two panes. Others have three or four panes.

Has anyone any views based on experience, as to why single unobstructed panes are not the norm?

And how about a one in the roof which might give a view of the main and offer more light in the saloon? It might leak a bit but are there any other downsides?

Cheers if you reply.

tcm

Visit site
yep. Esp with powerboats, the plastic sags and need replacing before the rest of the canvas, and big areas sag more than the canvas can be tightened. Keep to smaller window panes and there'll be no such problems. Big panes of plastic are cheaper tho, hence very much favoured on yank boats.

srm

Visit site
Why not do the job properly and have a fibreglass or plywood spray hood made? Then you can position glass or acrylic windows where you want them. They are also neater and don't wake the skipper with an imitation of a badly set sail flogging itself to death.