Spontaneous binocular disassembly...

Alfie168

Visit site
I've had my cheapo Chinese "Traveller" branded binos (Aldi £50) for roughly 14 years. During that time the internal compass failed but the optics stayed fine. The only other thing is that the plasticiser had leached out of the plastics and made them sticky. So yesterday I spent a couple of hours unstickying them with surgical spirit and was feeling pretty pleased with the overall result. Then I did some bird watching , then I put them on the sofa........then they fell off the sofa onto the lounge carpet...... It wasn't a big bash, but the plastic hinge just snapped clean off. I suspect plastics fatigue as I saw it all the time in even the most expensive heating boilers, and many cars suffer from it too.

Even so I'm a bit miffed it happened AFTER i'd spent two hours cleaning them....otherwise, for what I paid they have done pretty well.:rolleyes:

Budget for replacement is up to £150 and the leading runner in 7 x 50 waterproof binos is Bushnell at first glance. If anybody knows a better choice I'd be interested to hear your views. I can't afford Steiners no matter what so within sight of my budget please.

IMG_20210221_123306156.jpg

Alfie168

Visit site
All you need some Araldite®, other brands of glue is available.

Dont think that hasn't occurred to me, but my experience with araldite for this sort of plastic hasn't been good, and if the plastic is fatigued anyway...who knows. I might still have a go at gluing it, but glue choice is critical I suspect.

Alfie168

Visit site
They have lasted well. We have had similar ones, and the hinge has never broken, but a good drop from head to deck can sometimes get the compass view a bit out of alignment.
How about what might be the same again (lots of different brands sell the same thing) Force 4 Deluxe 7x50 Waterproof Floating Compass Binoculars | Force 4 Chandlery

I have good experience of Bushnell binoculars as I bought my dad a pair for his 65th birthday and he loved them, until he left them on a train in the rocky mountains? They get good write ups so I might just go a wee bit up market. I have looked at the Chinese cheapies again....the same bino can be priced from £80 to nearly £200 ? I'm not sure I want them again.

I am also aware that today's Bushnells will be made in China too, but even so they have always had a good name

scottie

Visit site
I have a pair of bushnells self focusing about 30 years old suffers from condensation but fantastic for using on a crowded boat

Andibs

Visit site

Alfie168

Visit site
I've dropped mine and the compass has gone out of alignment. Is there a self fix for it?
Cheers

You can remove the compass capsule, but it's sealed and you won't get a replacement. I found that Suunto produced something very similar, but they won't supply them to the UK for all sorts of reasons.

Alfie168

Visit site
I have bought a pair of Bushnell waterproof 8 x 42 that were on offer. If I don't like them when they show up I can send em back. Some reviews complain they were heavy at 710 g, so I weighed my yellow ones and they are 900g. We shall see (through the binoculars hopefully)

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I have good experience of Bushnell binoculars as I bought my dad a pair for his 65th birthday and he loved them, until he left them on a train in the rocky mountains? They get good write ups so I might just go a wee bit up market. I have looked at the Chinese cheapies again....the same bino can be priced from £80 to nearly £200 ? I'm not sure I want them again.

I am also aware that today's Bushnells will be made in China too, but even so they have always had a good name
My 2p worth: Japanese Fujinons are a good middle path between chinese tat and overpriced Steiners.

Sandro

Visit site
If you decide to try and reassemble it (them?) with glue, a thorough care must be put in getting them exactly parallel. I did it once on a 6x25, 15.00€ one. A base and some clamping means are needed. One has to focus either part to the same distant subject and then look through with both eyes and adjust the relative clamped position until the two images coincide exacly. It is more difficult than one would expect.
If the glue is slow curing it can be applied before adjusting. I used Locktite Attak instead which is instant curing and had to stitch the positioned parts with drops and later complete the "welding" by outside all around the crevice. Anyway the result was good.

Sandro

Alfie168

Visit site
My 2p worth: Japanese Fujinons are a good middle path between chinese tat and overpriced Steiners.

They are a bit above my price point starting at the £240 mark and upwards, but look very nice and I've no doubt well made. Its nice to know about them and I hadn't really looked hard enough as I assumed they were beyond my budget, but it turns out not by as much as I had thought for their 7x50 marine binocs.

William_H

Visit site
If you decide to try and reassemble it (them?) with glue, a thorough care must be put in getting them exactly parallel. I did it once on a 6x25, 15.00€ one. A base and some clamping means are needed. One has to focus either part to the same distant subject and then look through with both eyes and adjust the relative clamped position until the two images coincide exacly. It is more difficult than one would expect.
If the glue is slow curing it can be applied before adjusting. I used Locktite Attak instead which is instant curing and had to stitch the positioned parts with drops and later complete the "welding" by outside all around the crevice. Anyway the result was good.

Sandro
Yes as said I would try to glue them. Firstly with a fast harden glue. (superglue ) Then build up with epoxy or similar thick glue to make a bridge between the 2 parts. You won't be able to adjust them for sprread for smaller faces just set them up for your self. ol'will