Spile buoy missing

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
For those in the Medway and Swale area, we found on Sunday that the Spile buoy was missing from its location in the Four Fathoms Channel off the coast of the Isle of Sheppey. I would guess it is sitting on a beach somewhere. I reported it Monday to Trinity House using their online contact form. I received no acknowledgement, so phoned them today and its replacement has been actioned for Friday.

steve62

Visit site
Spile is the one buoy we can never see until we are right on top of it when we are racing. We know its there and where its supposed to be but can you see?

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
Spile is the one buoy we can never see until we are right on top of it when we are racing. We know its there and where its supposed to be but can you see?
Yes, it can be difficult to see. Last year on our Pursuit race one of our club boats managed to sail a couple of miles past it without noticing. He came on the vhf saying he was off Leysdown and couldn’t find it. Being one of the faster chasing boats I had just rounded it and on the way back to the Medway. It certainly wasn’t just hiding on Sunday. If it had dragged it was a long way from its correct position as I had a good scan around with the binoculars.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I came through there on Thursday 2 June returning from the South Coast and it didn't appear to be there. I was specifically looking for it as I have run aground on the Spile before but as I couldn't see it, thought I was too far south to see it as I was close to Sheppey.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
I think it might have been replaced yesterday. Looking at AIS, the THV "Alert" was in the area, and stopped for a while at that location.

Pye_End

Visit site
I came through there on Thursday 2 June returning from the South Coast and it didn't appear to be there. I was specifically looking for it as I have run aground on the Spile before but as I couldn't see it, thought I was too far south to see it as I was close to Sheppey.
Have grounded there as well - it looked to me to be further south than market on my plotter, and keep meaning to go back with a bit more water to look at it again.
Glad you are back safe and sound.