Spare Breaker Switches Blue Sea Systems Panel

Irish Rover

Visit site
Does anyone know where I can buy spare breaker switches for this Blue Sea Systems panel. I can't see a model no on the panel - I'll possibly find it if I take off a ceiling panel on the aft cabin but I'd rather not until I have to.
20240914_091543.jpg
20240914_091605.jpg

andsarkit

Visit site
Agreed it looks very like the Carlingswitch one.
Carlingswitch from Mouser
If you scroll down the data sheet in the link you will find the code numbers for the type of switch and you can see if they agree with the writing on your switch. You may have trouble sourcing them as there are so many variations and they are not cheap but very good quality.

Irish Rover

Visit site
It's like a birds nest in there. It's literally, and metaphorically, well above my head standing on a stool. I'll wait for my taller, braver more technically competent son to come in 10 days or so. Thanks for the replies.20240914_141951.jpg

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
It's like a birds nest in there. It's literally, and metaphorically, well above my head standing on a stool. I'll wait for my taller, braver more technically competent son to come in 10 days or so. Thanks for the replies.View attachment 182967
+1 for the previous suggestions of Carling? However, it looks as though you have two variants there. the centre two switches 30 & 50 amp look to have a different style rocker to the outside rows. Don't be misled by the amp value on the rocker, that will be for the circuit served. The switches may have a higher rating. Good luck!

Irish Rover

Visit site
+1 for the previous suggestions of Carling? However, it looks as though you have two variants there. the centre two switches 30 & 50 amp look to have a different style rocker to the outside rows. Don't be misled by the amp value on the rocker, that will be for the circuit served. The switches may have a higher rating. Good luck!
Yes, the switches on the supply side are a different type to the switches on the utility side. I think figuring this out is above my capability. I want to fit an inverter and I was planning to install an suitable switch in the blank position at the bottom of the supply side. As you may see the protection to prevent the shore power and generator being operational at the same time is by way of sliders which only allow one or the other to be activated. I'm not sure how I can protect when I fit the inverter.

Timeless 2

Visit site
My boat is a bit older than yours. I have a similar generator/shorepower switch. When I leave shore power I switch on the inverter as that runs all the fridges etc on boat all day. The inverter is wired into the same switch as the generator.If we stop and want to use the generator for high load usage, microwave and induction hob. I switch off the inverter and start the generator. A bit of faffing about but investigating the wiring which had all been done after the boat was built is daunting. I might look into it one day but In real life it’s not too much of a problem.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
My boat is a bit older than yours. I have a similar generator/shorepower switch. When I leave shore power I switch on the inverter as that runs all the fridges etc on boat all day. The inverter is wired into the same switch as the generator.If we stop and want to use the generator for high load usage, microwave and induction hob. I switch off the inverter and start the generator. A bit of faffing about but investigating the wiring which had all been done after the boat was built is daunting. I might look into it one day but In real life it’s not too much of a problem.
Sorry, but this is a bad idea. If you forget to switch the inverter off and start the generator you get two out of phase sources. Bang !

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Yes, the switches on the supply side are a different type to the switches on the utility side. I think figuring this out is above my capability. I want to fit an inverter and I was planning to install an suitable switch in the blank position at the bottom of the supply side. As you may see the protection to prevent the shore power and generator being operational at the same time is by way of sliders which only allow one or the other to be activated. I'm not sure how I can protect when I fit the inverter.
Not sure how your panel is wired. One way would be to connect shore power to shore 1 and the generator to generator (there's a surprise). Then the output from this set of switches to shore 2, with inverter to transfer, then the output from this panel to the consumer unit.

Of course, the panel may already be pre-wired (they are sometimes wired so only some systems are available when using the generator) and that cannot be done, although it might be possible to fit an additional set of switches.

Another option would be to fit a changeover switch, remove the generator connection from the panel and connect it to the changeover switch, along with the inverter output, then connect the output from the switch to the generator terminals on the Blue Sea panel.

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
Not sure how your panel is wired. One way would be to connect shore power to shore 1 and the generator to generator (there's a surprise). Then the output from this set of switches to shore 2, with inverter to transfer, then the output from this panel to the consumer unit.

Of course, the panel may already be pre-wired (they are sometimes wired so only some systems are available when using the generator) and that cannot be done, although it might be possible to fit an additional set of switches.

Another option would be to fit a changeover switch, remove the generator connection from the panel and connect it to the changeover switch, along with the inverter output, then connect the output from the switch to the generator terminals on the Blue Sea panel.
Thank you, Paul. I really appreciate your help and advice. To my simple mind an automatic changeover switch, as you describe, seems to be the way to go. My son is coming next week to tackle this job and I'll ask him to source a suitable switch in the UK before he travels. If you have any suggestions, that would be great 🙏.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thank you, Paul. I really appreciate your help and advice. To my simple mind an automatic changeover switch, as you describe, seems to be the way to go. My son is coming next week to tackle this job and I'll ask him to source a suitable switch in the UK before he travels. If you have any suggestions, that would be great 🙏.
Have you bought the inverter yet ?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Yes. It came off my previous boat although it's only a couple of years old. Victron Phoenix as I mentioned on the other thread.
I think i'd double check that the shore 2 switches are actually being used, if not you could use them.

Failing that, a simple, manual changeover switch would work. Use it to select whether the generator or inverter output goes to the generator switch. You could use an automatic changeover switch if you want, there are lots to choose from.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I think i'd double check that the shore 2 switches are actually being used, if not you could use them.

Failing that, a simple, manual changeover switch would work. Use it to select whether the generator or inverter output goes to the generator switch. You could use an automatic changeover switch if you want, there are lots to choose from.
Thanks. There are 2 separate shore power supplies, one to each hull. I generally only use Shore 1 and the Transfer switch to send the power to all areas. However, the air con needs both shore leads connected. We don't really use the air con much but I'd rather not exclude the possibility of being able to do so. Is there an automatic switch you've used successfully which won't break the bank?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks. There are 2 separate shore power supplies, one to each hull. I generally only use Shore 1 and the Transfer switch to send the power to all areas. However, the air con needs both shore leads connected. We don't really use the air con much but I'd rather not exclude the possibility of being able to do so. Is there an automatic switch you've used successfully which won't break the bank?
Not fitted one for an age, so not sure what's the best value at the moment.