Spanish anchorages Denia to Gibraltar.

Two Drifters

Visit site
Hello all

Heading from Sardinia to Gib at the mo. Having looked at the charts once we get south of the nice anchorages around Denia it seems to get a be devoid of places to drop the pick.

Anyone sailed down this coastline able to correct me :) ??

My wife is keen to go to Benormaddena (spelt wrong probably) and I nearly had a heart attack when I got a price from the marina. So if we are able to anchor off not to far away then I can take her in the dinghy.

Thanks in advance

2D

Trident

Visit site
Going south -
Calpe
In addition to the other thread

Tuck in behind Cap de L'Horta (San Juan de Alicante)
Torrevieja Harbour (inside the harbour walls - perfect in all directions with room for 40 boats)
La Azhoia (10 miles W of Cartagena)
Cabo de Gata - amazing beautiful spot on the East side of the cape

Contest1

Visit site
Torriveja great overnight twice last year. Can be a bit boisterous in a Southerly. Alternafivly the enterance to Marmenor about 2 hours South has a great anchorage just inside the enterance were there's an few piles that were supposed to be for a marina.
There a fair weather anchorage behind the outer wall at Santa Polo and roumour has it that you can go alongside in the nearby Tarbaca island harbour in the off season when the last day tripper ferry has gone.
Great thread. I'm planning to extend my cruising area when I return in September

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Torriveja great overnight twice last year. Can be a bit boisterous in a Southerly. Alternafivly the enterance to Marmenor about 2 hours South has a great anchorage just inside the enterance were there's an few piles that were supposed to be for a marina.
There a fair weather anchorage behind the outer wall at Santa Polo and roumour has it that you can go alongside in the nearby Tarbaca island harbour in the off season when the last day tripper ferry has gone.
Great thread. I'm planning to extend my cruising area when I return in September

I was told that a police (or Aduanas?) launch came out to a boat anchored there overnight. Apparently they thought it was odd and paid a visit. However, all perfectly OK after looking at boat docs. I heard this from the people on the boat involved not a problem and only time I've heard about anyone bothering.

We usually go into the Mar Menor and down to Marina La Isleta. Good shelter, they don't seem to mind if you take odd container of water back to the boat. Club has Wifi and serves food but restaurant just on road at bridge is better and also has Wifi now.

Holding can be iffy with spongy weed or old mooring kit (over by entrance), fine when offshore wind. Simply move a mile to other side of the bay if wind is going to be strong onshore. Good place to wait for decent weather, reasonable shop not far from marina.

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I've seen a few boats at anchor off Altea, or rather slightly further S off Albir. A very nice place to be.

It's not too bad as far as shelter from wind. I must have been unlucky 3-4 times I stopped there to shelter from SW wind as swell always curled around right into the corner. Perhaps it's better closer to the point but I thought water was deeper there.

damsis44

Visit site
Don't forget Cartagena, two marinas to choose from but YPC is reasonably priced all year round. Great place to top up the victuals with a huge Carrefour, Mercadona & Lidl, not to mention the Santa Florentina Fruit, Veg & Fish market which has the best olive/deli stall I've ever been to. Don't sail past.
But if it's just anchorages you want, we anchored every night on short-day-sailing passage from Cartagena to Ibiza and return: In the outer harbour of the Mar Menor; off Benidorm; Santa Pola; Calpe; Moraira. All were tenable in mild to moderate conditions. Calpe has the advantage of a huge hill stuck out into the sea, so you can go either side of it depending on wind direction (we know, we had to move!)

Last edited:

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Hello all

Heading from Sardinia to Gib at the mo. Having looked at the charts once we get south of the nice anchorages around Denia it seems to get a be devoid of places to drop the pick.

Anyone sailed down this coastline able to correct me :) ??

My wife is keen to go to Benormaddena (spelt wrong probably) and I nearly had a heart attack when I got a price from the marina. So if we are able to anchor off not to far away then I can take her in the dinghy.

Thanks in advance

2D

Not sure if it's helpful but we did the round trip last year and the details are here:

http://www.michaelbriant.com/cruise_1995.htm

Two Drifters

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Trip done and stayed on the hook everynight :) Favouite was Cape Tinson off Mazarron beach. Only night with no swell at all tucked in behind Pta de la azohia and a charming underdeveloped Spanish resort :)