Spain doing pragmatism now

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I have replied to this on the other forum, do you think they will grant residency to boat gypsies? I suspect that it will be for property owners and renters on terra firma. The other problem is medical cover, the EH1C will not be valid and reciprocal health care for visitors and residents will rely on the UK and Spain doing a deal on that and that is far from a given, at the moment the NHS are saying come the 29th all cover is off and there is nothing in the pipeline to replace it.

jordanbasset

Visit site
I have replied to this on the other forum, do you think they will grant residency to boat gypsies? I suspect that it will be for property owners and renters on terra firma. The other problem is medical cover, the EH1C will not be valid and reciprocal health care for visitors and residents will rely on the UK and Spain doing a deal on that and that is far from a given, at the moment the NHS are saying come the 29th all cover is off and there is nothing in the pipeline to replace it.

Agree

Heckler

Visit site

The ehic doesnt bother me because I do time here and time there, covered by Barclays travel pack, however the Portugal experts, graham m376, et al, are sure that the temporary residence gives access to Portuguese NHS.

nortada

Visit site
The ehic doesnt bother me because I do time here and time there, covered by Barclays travel pack, however the Portugal experts, graham m376, et al, are sure that the temporary residence gives access to Portuguese NHS.

It does and post Brexit, if there is no longer a UK EHIC, Brits registered for temporary residency will be able to get a Portuguese EHIC but given they will already have health cover in Portugal and the UK, I am unsure what would be the purpose of getting Portuguese EHIC?

Wansworth

Visit site
Listening to the minister of foreign affairs Snr Borrell they want to disrupt the Brits as little as possible,a shame our British ministers don’t seem to behave with the same seriousness and conciseness.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
It does and post Brexit, if there is no longer a UK EHIC, Brits registered for temporary residency will be able to get a Portuguese EHIC but given they will already have health cover in Portugal and the UK, I am unsure what would be the purpose of getting Portuguese EHIC?

The reason for having it is quite simple, you for instance visit Spain. IF the UK drops out of the scheme there will be no reciprocal cover throughout the EU and although we have health care in Portugal as residents, without the Portuguese EHIC, we won't be covered in neighbouring States. Cost of treatment for minor ailments is bearable but for strokes, heart attacks (we're in that age group) or serious injury can be tens of thousands.

blampied

Visit site
With what the Spanish have just announced
Just how easy, simple and quick would it be to get Spanish residency?
I like to spend years at a time with my boat in Mediterranean France/Spain
I’m back in Jersey at the moment but just thinking out loud.
If I jumped on a flight down to Barcelona for a weeks holiday.
Is there any way in a week I could apply for and get residency quick and simple, before 29 March
What do I need to do? Am I thinking far to simply or is it possible?
Or any I just dreaming.

Last edited:

BigJoe

Visit site
With what the Spanish have just announced
Just how easy, simple and quick would it be to get Spanish residency?
I like to spend years at a time with my boat in Mediterranean France/Spain
I’m back in Jersey at the moment but just thinking out loud.
If I jumped on a flight down to Barcelona for a weeks holiday.
Is there any way in a week I could apply for and get residency quick and simple, before 29 March
What do I need to do? Am I thinking far to simply or is it possible?
Or any I just dreaming.

As far as I'm aware you can no longer get an appointment for residency in Torrevieja Spain, and surrounding areain. due to the uncertanty of a no-deal brexit, however, this may still be possible in other areas. If you do get an appointment, you then have to register on the padron, which is basically informing the Spanish goverment that you are staying there. Then you will also need a rental agreement or title deeds of a house, along with medical insurance and 7 grand in a Spanish bank.
The above criteria, has only come in agter the UK voted to leave the EU.

PlanB

Visit site
And as far as I am aware, in Spain if you become resident you then become liable for taxes (income, wealth and boat matriculation)

Heckler

Visit site
As far as I'm aware you can no longer get an appointment for residency in Torrevieja Spain, and surrounding areain. due to the uncertanty of a no-deal brexit, however, this may still be possible in other areas. If you do get an appointment, you then have to register on the padron, which is basically informing the Spanish goverment that you are staying there. Then you will also need a rental agreement or title deeds of a house, along with medical insurance and 7 grand in a Spanish bank.
The above criteria, has only come in agter the UK voted to leave the EU.
In the Telegraph today
Spain pledges protection for British expats
The Spanish government has issued a range of measures aimed at protecting British citizens in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
The royal decree, approved yesterday, gives British residents of Spain access to healthcare until at least the end of 2020. Spain will also provide residency for an estimated 400,000 Britons and preserve freedom of movement across its border with Gibraltar.
The Spanish government made clear the plan was subject to “Spanish border workers receiving equivalent treatment” according to Spanish daily El Pa

BigJoe

Visit site
In the Telegraph today
Spain pledges protection for British expats
The Spanish government has issued a range of measures aimed at protecting British citizens in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
The royal decree, approved yesterday, gives British residents of Spain access to healthcare until at least the end of 2020. Spain will also provide residency for an estimated 400,000 Britons and preserve freedom of movement across its border with Gibraltar.
The Spanish government made clear the plan was subject to “Spanish border workers receiving equivalent treatment” according to Spanish daily El Pa

If May gets a deal, the above should be avalable till 2020 anyway, however if its a no deal, then thats an added bonus. I wonder how long that will take to filter down, to people trying to get a appointment.

BigJoe

Visit site
And as far as I am aware, in Spain if you become resident you then become liable for taxes (income, wealth and boat matriculation)

Tax for residents is if you stay longer than 183 days and its on your world wide income. Matriculation tax is a price worth paying as far as we are converned as we want to stay in Spain, for 12 month, not 6.

nortada

Visit site
The reason for having it is quite simple, you for instance visit Spain. IF the UK drops out of the scheme there will be no reciprocal cover throughout the EU and although we have health care in Portugal as residents, without the Portuguese EHIC, we won't be covered in neighbouring States. Cost of treatment for minor ailments is bearable but for strokes, heart attacks (we're in that age group) or serious injury can be tens of thousands.

Currently, from personal experience, when using a UK EHIC in Portugal or Spain, the authorities want to see your UK passport as proof of identity (the EHIC card doesn’t sport a photograph).

To use your example, post Brexit, it will be interesting to see how the Spanish authorities view a Brit, with a Portuguese EHIC supported by a UK passport.

If push could become shove, it may be worth a try.

Should add, we have private medical insurance but never resorted to using it.