Southerly lifting keel

wombat88

Visit site
On a lift keeler I used to raise it when leaving the boat for extended periods. I made the assumption that it would reduce fouling on it.

[3889]

Visit site
On a lift keeler I used to raise it when leaving the boat for extended periods. I made the assumption that it would reduce fouling on it.
Just bought an Ovni and that's what I was advised. Down on a swinging mooring though so it aligns with other boats.

DipperToo

Visit site
Hi just wondering with a southerly boat 42 foot in the Mariner would you leave the key up or down thank you Andrew
Always keel up when berthed - it is absolutely evident on the annual lift out that half the keel is really clean and only light fouling on the remainder as it has been 'in the dark'.
As Quiddle says, always down on a swinging mooring or at anchor (unless drying out)

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Left the keel and rudder up in our marina many years ago. The main reason was that it had been dredged badly, directing waves along the berth rather than at 90 degrees to dissipate on the beach. I discovered that the keel would touch the mud at a particular tide height which also resulted in the largest waves. Boats were banging masts on every second wave because the keels dragged to increase heel and alternate pontoons would be either side of a trough.

Leaving the keel up solved my problem but the marina had to spread out the other boats with fixed keels.

I stopped lifting the keel when I moved to a deep water mooring. It did help to keep aligned with nearby boats. However, build up of growth inside the housing was huge. I had rarely needed to bother with a lot of anti-foul on the top of the keel because it spent most of the time above water. Extra care with antifoul solved that problem.

E39mad

Visit site
Does the 42 have the facility to pin the keel when fully up to take the load of the hydraulic ram and pennant. You used to be able to do so on earlier boats.

Bathdave

Visit site
I have a Southerly 115 and I keep the keel up in the marina

The main reason for me is that the keel just touches the bottom as low water, although the bottom is sand/soft silt, I took the view the sideways pressure on the keel housing as the boat wandered was a good thing to avoid.

The boat does rock more with the keel up because of the lack of resistance and moment.

I pin the keel up and release the pressure on the ram and pennant.

The reduction in growth on the keel is noticeable, and definite plus

graham

Visit site
I used to raise the keel every time left for more than a few days on my small lifting keel boat.My reasoning was that if the lifting gear is rarely used it may not work when you really need it. Also stops it fouling..

Visit site
There is already a lot of good information in previous replies, but I would like to add a little.

Hi just wondering with a southerly boat 42 foot in the Mariner would you leave the key up or down thank you Andrew
The Southerly keel is best lifted, locked in place and lowered onto the pin, if it is to be left for any length of time, because . . .
1. If the keel is left hanging on the pennant for a long time the pennant will stretch and it will then need to be adjusted.
2. There is very little strain on it when up, so no wear in the pivot pin and bushes.
3. There is less weed fouling.
and there must be other reasons.

The southerly is a heavy boat with a large heavy cast iron grounding plate on the bottom covering the area that takes the ground. This grounding plate has a slot in it for the heavy (over 1 tonne) pivoting keel, it also has a massive pivoting point forward. So this boat will not blow around so much on a mooring with the keel up, as a lighter boat.

If you own a Southerly or are considering buying one then you can get much more detail by joining the Southerly Owners Association here www.soa-forum.org.uk . Look under Technical Issues and problem solving.

Good sailing soon I hope, George