South West Coast Wanderings

Gin

Visit site
I haven't been to Salcombe for many years but always loved it, in spite of the grockles.

Once a member of ICC and my late wife learned to dinghy sail" up the bag"

Often meant to go back and having just bought a small boat thought I might meander that way next season, with my two young children- a sort of right of passage.

Very sorry to read of the state of affairs now, so I shall give it a miss.

Any views on what was once(and I hope still is) the wonderful entrance to the Yealm and its transits/leading marks. If that is now crapped I shall think about going North out of the Thames when the times comes.

Fowey was enjoyable too, I recall -and Falmouth Roads likewise.

How about giving me a BRIEF, one sentence, of Pro's and Con's West of Weymouth to the Lizard, in your opinion. Taking into account I haven't been down that way for twenty years

No slag offs or patronisers, just food for thought for kindred souls, so any knockers here just don't bother!!!! and get a life.

Perhaps I should post this as a new leader on PBO/YM Fora, Subject South West Coast Wanderings

See link to why "I don't visit Salcombe" thread on YM Scuttlebutt

snowleopard

Visit site
Done a fair bit of pottering along the SW coast this last couple of years so here are a few opinions: (prices are for my 12m cat)

Dartmouth: relatively cheap at £12. Nice town. Best breakfast in Britain at Alf Resco's
Salcombe: about £16 in 2004. Very pretty. Shopping lousy. Harbour patrol helpful with berthing.
Yealm: gets very crowded. £16 on buoy, 50% surcharge on pontoons. A few shps, good pubs.
Tamar: Marinas pricey - £41 at Mayflower!! free anchoring. few waterfront pubs. free visitors buoys at Crooked Spaniards (Cargreen)
Looe: One drying visitor's berth. Pretty town, loads of eating places
Polperro: iffy visitor's mooring outside harbour.
Fowey: £16. Plenty of moorings, Attractive harbour, good pubs & shopping, Polruan also has good pubs.
Mevagissey: One berth beside wall. £11. Stay away if wind between S & E.
Falmouth: Plenty of space to anchor. Visitor's marina reasonably priced. Mylor £36! Busy town with all facilities
Helford: Plenty of buoys in river £15, anchoring free. Pretty, pubs both sides.
St Michael's Mount: Cheap or free. Drying mooring alongside wall. Avoid if swell running.
Penzance: £17. raft up in locked basin. Plenty of shops
St Mary's: Charges for anchoring. Moorings very tightly packed. Pretty town, good range of shops. Fuel v. expensive
New Grimsby: Moorings off village, access to Tresco & Bryher.
Padstow: anchor off or lock into inner harbour & raft up. Busy holiday town (expect to have tourists watching your every move!). Very welcoming staff.

Visit site
Here's a couple of additional thots:

The Exe - difficult entrance unless at slack/no seas running. Lovely inside, with some visitors' moorings and miles of anchorage.

Torquay - friendly marina staff, but geared to huge gin palaces. 5-star loos and showers.

Brixham - use YC pontoon next to club - dinghy required for 10 metres. Friendly club and all facilities there/nearby.

Plymouth - sound anchorages at Cawsand, Barn Pool ( trip line ) and Dandy Hole. Also just north of Drakes Island. Mayflower Marina among the best in country, according to regular users.

Fowey a favourite. Visit the 'Galants' club for showers and a good welcome. Hunt out the best sausages in the west nearby.

Falmouth is great - dozens of quiet anchorages and V-moorings. The RCYC is very welcoming, and often has a visitor's mooring quite cheap.

Mullion Cove is a good anchorage in an easterly, but the NT-owned harbour is a no-go area for yachts and kept empty, 'cos the NT warden loathes yotties (2003).

St Michael's Mount is a very interesting stop which gets not very many yots, but choose settled weather due to swell and scend.

Newlyn is a good port of refuge, with a friendly HM - as long as you don't get in the way of the trawlers. Visit the Mission To Seamen for showers, breakfasts, and local insight. Lots of good pubs.

Mousehole is kinda wee and twee, but one can also anchor off behind the little island there, in settled weather. Better to use Newlyn and walk.

The Scillies has lots of fine anchoring spots, and many have arrays of visitors' mooring buoys. Several outstanding pubs - and the girls' gig racing team is a spectacle. Faster than the lads now, I hear....

A must for pleasurable 'gunkholing' in the Southwest is Mark Fishwick's 'West Country Cruising' - and don't forget His Eminence JamesJermain haunts these waters in his new fanny-magnet...... You could be pressed into featuring in an article, if you stand still long enough!

mike_bryon

Visit site
After a good few years of summer sailing in blue, warmer waters, this year we sailed for almost all of July and August the south coast and Ireland.

We found the West Country still beautiful but much more crowded and organized than when we lasted sailed the area. Contrast this with Ireland where we had the dramatic, truly beautiful scenery to ourselves. We were almost always the only boat in anchorages off empty beaches and rowed ashore to great pubs (the restaurants were v expensive).

In MHO briefly visit the West Country but keep going to include the south and west of Ireland.

Best wishes.

ashanta

Visit site
Your'e stupid attitude is why I do not really like the indiginuos Devonions. You do not call the non Devonions Grockles face to face and when i played rugby in D&C league for Teignmouth I was a great guy??
Your a racsist B and i am appallled by yor reference to Grockles!

Gin

Visit site
Not only can't you spell, you seem to have trouble reading too-

See Para 8 of my post and heed it!!

By the way.you seem to imply that it's OK to call Non- Devonians grockles behind their back. Says a lot about you as does the whole tenor of your first reply, like I said get a life.

I await the next diatribe with----------------A YAWN.

pessimist

Visit site
We've now been in Dartmouth for around 10 years but spent 15 on the East coast before that.

All depends on what you want.

The East coast is still far cheaper, you can still find quiet creeks (you'll need a decent dinghy, and probably wellies, if you want to go ashore) and the navigation is more "interesting".

The West Country is more spectacular, more crowded and more expensive but features "see through" water (rather than slightly diluted mud). All the observations about harbour dues etc. are true.

I still find it very difficult to chose between the two areas. Why not see which way the wind is blowing when you reach the mouth of the Thames?

Enjoy it whichever way you turn.

Cheers

Colin

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
wow, you're a friendly sort. Why such aggressive posting, I don't think anyone deserves this. You can't set rules as you tried on you opening post.

Rules for this post.

Do not reply unless to be nicer and apologise for being a bit of grump, anything else will be ignored and you will be of course described as a southern nancy woolyback. Hows that?

Is my spelling ok for you? I do hope so, I would hate to upset you.

snowleopard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We've now been in Dartmouth for around 10 years ...

[/ QUOTE ]
It really is time you went to sea /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

summerwind

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Your'e stupid attitude is why I do not really like the indiginuos Devonions.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why is it you want to come here polluting the place then?

[ QUOTE ]
You do not call the non Devonions Grockles face to face

[/ QUOTE ]

I do.

[ QUOTE ]
......... I was a great guy??

[/ QUOTE ]

Never as long as your bloody great big ass points to the ground, Sunshine

[ QUOTE ]
Your a racsist B and i am appallled by yor reference to Grockles!

[/ QUOTE ]

No I'm not. I simply dislike ignorant, northern, loudmouthed, illegal immigrants who descend on us Devon boys and act as if they own the place whilst constantly criticising everything that brought them here in the first place.

Visit site
".....ignorant, northern, loudmouthed, illegal immigrants who descend on us Devon boys and act as if they own the place...."

I'd got the impression that most of Cornwall - and a good chunk of Devon, too - is actually owned by a posh bloke wot lives in Gloucestershire. Anyway, his Greek dad and sister both sail - rather well, I hear - and I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of either of 'em on the water, 'cos they've both got a good line in 'salty language' when some local yokel gets in the way.....

'Honi soit qui mal y pense' loosely translates as 'Wind yer neck in!'